Commercial Smokers

Can any of these cookers operate while in a moving truck? I am thinking of cooking butts and brisket overnight for a food truck operation, then putting that into Cambros in the morning and putting on ribs to be ready for lunch service. So, I would need the cooker to still be cooking or at least holding hot, while in the truck on the way to the vending location. Crazy? (Guessing that the jolting of riding around in a truck would set off an emergency shutdown on any gas/pellet/electric cooker) Also anybody use a BDS for vending? Seems like a couple of those loaded as described above would make a heck of a day's business. They are so airtight that you could plumb the intake and exhaust outside the truck and have no worries about carbon monoxide... I think. Anybody?

question for those that use ole hickory pits,southern prides, fecs, friedrich or the like - i 've read they are set and forget and u do use wood for smoke, correct? do they produce a smoke ring on the meats? apologize if this is a stupid question, just curious. thanks

I can only speak for Southern Prides, they use wood, logs or splits, for smoke. The unit my friend has uses gas for heat. He does get a smoke ring. It is pretty set and forget, as much as any one I have heard of.

I would not recommend a FEC-100 indoors in a joint.. They have a history of catching fire... mine did early this yearm fire dept was called out.... thats how bad it was.. Had earlier episodes before, but caught them in time. When i called CS, they even told me the 100s are for competition use... They recommend the 300,500 or 750s for retail indoor cooking, NOT a 100

We are looking at opening a joint here soon and i have settled on a FEC 300 for chicken and the southern pride 500 will take care of everything else.

Back