• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Beans!

dwfisk

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Gettin ready for a rib weekend, gonna fill the big stickburner with 6+ racks of KC spares plus some obligatory 1/2 chickens. On a recent trip the Texas hill country I enjoyed some really tasty pinto beans at Franklin's, Kreutz's and elsewhere. Very different than the "sweet" baked beans I'm used to here on the east coast. I especially like the taste of jalapenos (or some other peppers) that gave them a good zing. I'm planning on a CI dutch oven in the smoker. I think I have a pretty good basic recipie, but anybody out there have a favorite you want to share?

I enjoy the Pinto Bean recipe from the Stubbs’s Cookbook. I don’t have with me at work but I am sure you can find it online. I is very straight forward and simple – perfect for long smoker cooks.

On a rainy Sunday afternoon I can make a pot along with some cornbread and I am a happy man.

This is my recipe passed down through the family I've been eating since i was old enough to chew.

1 lb pintos sorted to remove the rocks
3 jalapenos stems and seeds removed 1/4" dice
1/2 a large yellow onion diced 1/4"
2 cloves garlic minced fine or pressed
1/4 lb bacon rendered but not browned reserve drippings
1 Knor brand *Calde de Pollo (Chicken Bullion)
1 Knor brand *Calde de tomate ( Tomato Bullion) *1 cube does 2 qrts
salt & pepper to taste

Put the beans in a pot and cover with 4 " of water bring to a boil and reduce heat to a *low boil for 10 min remove from heat put a lid on the pot and allow it to sit for 1 hr. *if you boil the beans hard you will make them mad and they wont get tender.

Dice the veg and sit aside
Render the bacon over low heat with a little water reserve "ALL" the drippings

When the beans have soaked for 1 hr drain and rinse refill the pot with fresh cool water covering the beans by 2 " add everything to the pot except salt & pepper. Slowly bring up to a simmer turn the heat to low and cover the the pot simmer 2 hrs or until the beans are tender and creamy. add salt & pepper to taste.

Thanks Bludawg. Sounds great. What size pot do you use? What do you think about the final 2 hour simmer in the smoker?

Crockpot
1lb beans (casserole brand)
1/4 cup fiesta pinto seasoning
1/4 cup knorr caldo de pollo y tomate
1/2 chopped onion
2 jalapeños Seeded and chopped
1/2 link of smoked pork and beef sausage cut into 1/4's
1 can hunts stewed tomatoes
Cilantro to taste
Bring to a boil in a separate pot for 10 min and allow to sit for 10 more min. Drain and add all Ingredients to the crock pot. Cook on high for 6 hrs. I use a crock pot, but use anything you like. Great flavor.
Some I cooked recently.
5A8FC30D-06B7-4C84-A27D-FB734EAC548C-223-0000019B6EA4A15F.jpg

I use a 6 qrt DO I never done them on the pit and there is no real advantage to it because you need to keep the pot lidded up.

Back