Now that's a first...

BBQ Bandit

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Last year... I donated 2 whole smoked chickens for my Wife's "Pass a plate" luncheon. The chicken was such a hit... there were no leftovers... people were actually picking at the carcasses.

This year... people remembered and requested my smoked chickens again... this time 8 whole roasters.... with a twist... cooking on site!
Once more... people could not believe the taste and texture of the smoked chicken was better than last year.

Here's where I was dumbfounded in context...
One of my Wife's colleagues... is a worldly traveler (with a Mexican descent), was visiting from the corporate office in California when the she tasted my low and slow smoked chicken. She told my Wife she never had anything like it before... and was delighted how tender, juicy, and flavorful it was.

Unbeknown to us... she drove afterwards to NYC for the weekend and tried the smoked chicken at Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill. :shock:

Her personal opinion (relayed by my Wife)... she enjoyed my chicken much better. :whoo:

BBQ Bandit - 1
Bobby Flay - 0

I've never smoked a roasting hen. They have better flavor than fryers. How big were those birds...7#...more?

THAT is awesome!
Nice job Bandit!

Probably because Bobby's "smoked" chicken was done in an oven. I've seen those "smokers" they use on Iron Chef America. Some kind of farkin steam table pan contraption.

I also saw a guy do "grilled asparagus" the other day on the Cooking Channel in a skillet with butter on a stovetop. :confused:

Those chef's are odd ducks.

i'm sure yer chicks are great but i also imagine that its not hard to beat flay. more info on how you do it please ??

i'm sure yer chicks are great but i also imagine that its not hard to beat flay. more info on how you do it please ??

Wasn't too crazy... a simplified comp version - without sauce.

1. Dressed the birds in EVOO
2. Injection - sweet butter with a hint of garlic
3. Rub - modified Montreal for chicken with a hint of curry heat.
4. Clean burning cherry smoke.

Came out a dark bronze color.

I smell a throw down......

Now THAT I'd pay to see! Wouldn't it be farkin FANTASTIC to see Bandit sneak up on Bobby Flay on a TD show (at his own restaurant) and challenge HIM to a smoked chicken throwdown?

Ooooooo yeah!:boxing:

Now THAT I'd pay to see! Wouldn't it be farkin FANTASTIC to see Bandit sneak up on Bobby Flay on a TD show (at his own restaurant) and challenge HIM to a smoked chicken throwdown?

Ooooooo yeah!:boxing:

Rather see our own Brethren Brother Smoke In Da Eye catch up with Flay.
Besides... have a face and body made for radio.

I've never smoked a roasting hen. They have better flavor than fryers. How big were those birds...7#...more?
Find large Purdue roasters... 7 - 8 lbs. ...bigger breasts = better tolerance of heat.
[ummm... that didn't sound right]

Now let's see...go to the search box, type in chicken...for some reason I feel the urge to smoke a chicken. :confused: Awesome job Bandit!!

For some reason good smoked poultry is my nemesis.

What temp do you smoke at?
What temp internal?

For some reason good smoked poultry is my nemesis.

What temp do you smoke at?
What temp internal?

Start at low and slow @ 225-250 (3 hours)
Last half hour to and hour - hotter @ 300 to crisp up the skin.

Internal temp;
White meat (breasts) @ 165*
Dark meat (legs and thighs) @ 180*

Arrange the whole birds with the legs pointing towards the firebox (for offsets that have the hotter firebox exposure)

Unbeknown to us... she drove afterwards to NYC for the weekend and tried the smoked chicken at Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill. :shock:

Her personal opinion (relayed by my Wife)... she enjoyed my chicken much better. :whoo:

BBQ Bandit - 1
Bobby Flay - 0
Not surprising. A talented Q'er who takes pride in his work will usually produce better Q than most restaurants, even famous ones. Looks like you fit the bill. Good job!:thumb:

Back