Took the training wheels off today (pr0n)...

Mason Dixon Bowhunta

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Well I decided to man up today and do a whole pork shoulder without using any foil during the cook. For the most part, I used SirPorkalot's method of just using salt as a rub (though I did add some fresh ground pepper as well) and cooking at higher temps. I was up at 5 this morning firing up the UDS and rubbing the meat.

Here they are ready to go into the smoker:

ButtsPrepped_zpsb78e706e.jpg

Historically I have bbq'd at low temps (225*-230*). After reading many threads on here I have started using highers temps and had good success. My UDS seems to want to naturally stay around the 280* mark so I just let it do it's thing. Here's a picture of the butts when I pulled them off the grill. both "probed like butta". At this point, I wrapped them in foil and dish towels and let them rest in a cooler for about 5 hours.

ReadyToRest_zps654f2e22.jpg

Just got done pulling them. The meat was perfect, tender and moist and came clean off the bone. My 12 year old was grabbing handfuls of it almost as fast as I could pull it. Here is the finished product waiting for some sauce. Enjoy!

PulledPork_zps7d881271.jpg

Outstanding, good looking PP! I found my UDS likes it around 280 also, try Ribs unfoiled now.:biggrin1:

LOL, actually I did some baby backs last weekend without foil and they turned out perfect. I've been trying to use the look/feel method when I cook as opposed to going by temp or time. So far so good.

BTW, I love your avatar. When I was a kid all my friends thought Ginger was the Bomb, but I always had a major crush on Mary Ann...don't tell my wife...

Looks Awesome!! I left foil behind a long time ago, 'cept when they come off the cooker. Next step, foil pans to save some of the savory goodness & less clean up... Cheers!!!

Just so you know. You have arrived. Amazing how above 270 and salt and pepper can get you to mastery the quickest. Now you can fly and pee ur funk on ur own meat...

The Butt looks INCREDIBLE

Back