View Single Post
Old 10-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #5
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
In my experience the smoke ring stops forming at around the 140 degree mark, but all meats continue to absorb smoke to a diminishing degree as long as they are exposed to it.
I agree with the above. While the smoke rings stops forming, it's still sucking up the flavors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldholler View Post
follow-up -- about chicken -- I'm thinking about smoking for a bit, pulling the fire out of the firebox (for safety), and then switching to gas.

The idea is to achieve some apple smoke flavor and then take advantage of the potentially higher and steady heat of gas (which is still indirect in my smoker, although above 275 the radiant heat reaches the meat more directly than at 230-265).

Should be the same principle as moving to an oven but without the downsides.

Salient question -- how long does meat most actively absorb smoke? To what temperature, more specifically? Chicken, ribs, butts, brisket -- are there major differences?
My only concern would be the formation of water when the gas burns... You may loose some of the 'crispyness'. Other than that it should work file.
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->