Butchers Brisket Review

jtfisher63

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
As promised here is the review of Butchers BBQ marinade/injection.

I started with a 12.5 full packer brisket. I injected it in a checkerboard pattern about 30 minutes before it went on the Egg. I then used the marinade as a glue and put on my usual brisket rub. It went on the 200* Egg at 7:30 this morning. The came up to 250*-265* by 8:15. I'm holding it steady at 270* dome temp. The last pic is after 2 hours on the Egg.

My first reaction to the butchers powder was that it didn't smell all that good and seemed weird how caked up it was. I mixed 1/2 of 3/4 of a cup of butchers(whatever that measurement is) with 1 cup of water. It smelled better after it was mixed with the water. It took a wisk to get it mixed up good. I injected the brisket and the marinade shot out all over the place. I could tell as the marinade hit the cold meat it thickened up quite a bit.

I'll check back in soon!

Attachments

• IMGP4854.JPG
    IMGP4854.JPG
    159.2 KB · Views: 294
  • IMGP4857.JPG
    IMGP4857.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 293
  • IMGP4860.JPG
    IMGP4860.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 293
  • IMGP4862.JPG
    IMGP4862.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 292
Do the directions say to inject 3-4 hours before you put on? Its been awhile since I used it, but I believe thats the time. It does have a super funky smell to it but..it does make it taste more "beefy"

Do the directions say to inject 3-4 hours before you put on? Its been awhile since I used it, but I believe thats the time. It does have a super funky smell to it but..it does make it taste more "beefy"

Yeah, it says 4 hours. I wasn't getting up at 3:00 to inject it!:mrgreen:

I would have injected it last night, but I didn't want to screw it up.

I know what you mean, Getting up at 3am to inject a brisky is not fun. Im curious what the difference in taste is between a 30 min injection and a 4 hour injection.

Most of the time , if not all the time I shoot mine 8 -10 hours before when cooking at home. Love the stuff.

Rick

Funny how it is known to smell funny, but people can't wait to use it. Guess it's a good thing "smell" is not a scoring category.:lol:

Yeah and you get past the smell of a brisket in Cryovac after you first take it out, it all smells good, well...ok not everything.:wink:

I must have misunderstood then. I thought the smell was after it was cooked, not before. My bad.:lol:

Well, it's done already, at least the flat is. I cooked it a bit on the hot side at 265*-275* dome temp. I pulled it off at 2:00 and 195*. The point is seperated and back on the Egg. I have the flat foiled, wrapped in a couple dish towels and resting in the microwave. It cooked a little faster than planned so it will rest for around 3 hours until dinner time. I'm taking it to the inlaws so I hope it turns out! I'll get the burnt end and sliced flat pics up after they are done. The first pic is at 5 1/2 hours.

Attachments

• 5.5 hours.JPG
    5.5 hours.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 235
  • IMGP4867.jpg
    IMGP4867.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 232
  • IMGP4870.JPG
    IMGP4870.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 234
30 minutes wasn't enough to give the Butcher's the full affect. Having cooked dozens of briskets over the last two years using the product, I can tell a huge difference between < 4hrs and >4hrs.

30 minutes wasn't enough to give the Butcher's the full affect. Having cooked dozens of briskets over the last two years using the product, I can tell a huge difference between < 4hrs and >4hrs.

Doh!!! Good thing I still have half of the sample pack. So, how long would be too long to inject before cooking? I could of have injected it last night, but it would have marinaded for 7-8 hours.

I have heard of some people doing it overnight. I asked Butcher BBQ about that when I bought this stuff ofver a year ago (cause I didnt want to get up at 3am to inject) He said 8 hours was too long. I guess its just a matter of preference. But as much as Butcher wins in brisky...he must be doing something right.

I might have to just deal with getting up early next time and inject it 4 hours prior. If I end up using it in contests 4 hours obviously isn't a problem.

Doh!!! Good thing I still have half of the sample pack. So, how long would be too long to inject before cooking? I could of have injected it last night, but it would have marinaded for 7-8 hours.

The best window seems to be 4-8 hours. There is a huge difference between 2 hours and 4 hours. You can noticeably tell the difference in the end product.

TRUST ME, do not ever overnite this stuff,, or inject too much, but,,, I love the results from 4 hours, and using the "checkerboard" pattern.

my first brisket was a complete farked up piece of chit,,,,, overinjected, overnited, awful, awful piece of meat....don't do this.

I had been mixing mine at home the night before I left for comps. I use those Nalgene bottles for my pork and beef injections, they have the measurements on the side and wide mouths. The beef marinade thickened up from being on ice overnight, but was easy to work with and didn't squirt out all over me and it slathered well.

The results are in. I liked it okay. It wasn't the juiciest brisket ever, but it was juicy enough. I did have to rest it for 3.5 hours too. It had a good beefyness to it. I believe I may have over injected it a little. It came out a little salty after having a couple slices. Looking back I think I may figured it out. After trimming the brisket it as probably 11 pounds or so. I only injected the flat, not the point. I believe it was Todd who said the point can get salty if injected so I skipped the point. It may be just right right though for judges since they only take a bite or two. I am going to try it again and figure out the correct amount to inject, use apple juice instead of water and inject it 4-8 hours before cooking. Overall, I think I may be ordering some in the near future! Thanks Todd for the idea and to Jeff for providing me my sample.

Sorry for the picture quality, once the inlaws caught a wiff of the delicious brisket smell they were practaclly begging for it so I only snapped one pic.

Attachments

• IMGP4879.JPG
    IMGP4879.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 137
Back