Thanks to you guys for the how to and inspiration:
UDS-1.jpg

I've read a good deal of this thread but have not gotten the specific answers i am looking for so forgive me if i am repeating -

instead of building a coal basket i took a smokey joe knock off (Thermos) and cuty the legs down to 2 inch and drilled a bunch of holes in the bottom. i put an eye ring in the center so i can retrieve it with a fireplace poker.

also, i bought a 1" ball valve that i am going to attach with a steel flange for my air control. i alos drilled two 1/4" holes on the sides of the drum 2" off the ground.

anybody see any problems with either of these 2 modifications?

I'll get some pics up later tonight..

Last edited by a moderator:
i alos drilled two 1/4" holes on the sides of the drum 2" off the ground.

anybody see any problems with either of these 2 modifications?

I'll get some pics up later tonight..

I must have missed something because I can't figure out what the 1/4" holes are for?

additional/even air intake. i figured just a 1" valve was not enough.

I think you a little short on air intake. If you go back and read how to build a UDS, you will see that the plan was for 3 1" holes a couple of inches off the bottom. Then install 3 3/4" threaded nipples into these holes. Cap off 2 of them and use your 1" valve on the third. Remember what all these guys say about changing the proven UDS plan on your first build, kiss.

I think you a little short on air intake. If you go back and read how to build a UDS, you will see that the plan was for 3 1" holes a couple of inches off the bottom. Then install 3 3/4" threaded nipples into these holes. Cap off 2 of them and use your 1" valve on the third. Remember what all these guys say about changing the proven UDS plan on your first build, kiss.

I set my latest up with 4. Maybe overkill, but on other sites it has been suggested that 4 can offer more control in windy situations

All you new builders are forgetting an important piece of the successful UDS build.
!B(-HSwQBWk~$(KGrHgoOKkIEjlLmVgL3BKfEc!6fdw~~_12.JPG

I still can't figure out what I need three for. I usually only have to use my ball valve to control temps. Only time I use the other two is to get the initial temp up.

I set my latest up with 4. Maybe overkill, but on other sites it has been suggested that 4 can offer more control in windy situations

I still can't figure out what I need three for. I usually only have to use my ball valve to control temps. Only time I use the other two is to get the initial temp up.

There you have it!
And overcome heavy meat load.

All you new builders are forgetting an important piece of the successful UDS build.
%21B%28-HSwQBWk%7E$%28KGrHgoOKkIEjlLmVgL3BKfEc%216fdw%7E%7E_12.JPG
I was thinking that was what was wrong when I had an uncontrollable burn a few weeks ago.

I couldn't find one without some crazy logo on it for something or some team I don't promote. My problems were solved when I got this...

There you have it!
And overcome heavy meat load.

Yep, had to run mine with two caps off for last weeks cook. 6 butts. Used a different charcoal than usual but it was supposed to burn hotter. I hadn't used both full racks at once before. If I add a third rack, I think i'll have to add a fourth intake. Need more than the three I have also when I convert to a grill.

GEDC0317.jpg

What effect does all that extra meat have on the combustion?

That is a LOT of fat dripping down onto the fire. Also, 42.5 # of meat is a lot of thermal mass to heat up. I noticed with two full racks that my UDS behaved differently than with just one rack half full. I used a new brand of charcoal so I don't know what the problem was.

I know better. Only do one thing different each time so you know if it had any effect.

Anyway, do you guys get a longer burn time with less meat?
Is it easier to maintain temp one way or the other?

I'm not rocket scientist but...
Well more mass is going to take more energy to raise the temp.
All things being equal if all the settings stayed the same from a lesser weight of meat cook to a higher weight of meat to cook the difference would be time. Meaning more fuel consumed over that time variant.

I dunno I stayed at a holiday inn once.

What effect does all that extra meat have on the combustion?

That is a LOT of fat dripping down onto the fire. Also, 42.5 # of meat is a lot of thermal mass to heat up. I noticed with two full racks that my UDS behaved differently than with just one rack half full. I used a new brand of charcoal so I don't know what the problem was.

I know better. Only do one thing different each time so you know if it had any effect.

Anyway, do you guys get a longer burn time with less meat?
Is it easier to maintain temp one way or the other?

Until you want to do a high heat cook for chicken.....

Back