Smoking 6 st louis style racks help....???

spacemanspiff

Reaction score
Hey all!
For the holiday I am going to attempt to smoke 6 or 7 st Louis cut racks.
But I'm not sure how to go about method/time and temp.
I originally was going to use the oven but I found out I would have a grill similar to the smoky mountain bravo with 2 adj. charcoal trays. thank the bbq gods. I have a rub I love (Memphis dust)and a good sauce plus I bought a rib rack from Traeger that holds 8 racks, but I've never attempted a cook this big. Do I still use the 3-2-1 method and foil for the 2hrs? Do I baste/mop? if so when? Also, what should I do with the tips...should I cook them at the same time or freeze and save them for another day? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I would rub them, throw them on the pit and cook till they pass the bend test..
If you have room for the tips cook them at the same time and toss them in some beans.

I find that the 3-2-1 method does not work for me. I use a 2-2-.5. I don't spray, but I cook in a backwoods. Throw them on until you get the color you want, foil them until they are almost done, sauce/glaze and toss them in there for 30 min or so to firm them up and set the sauce/glaze. There are quite a few ways to do tips. If you save them that is just another excuse to smoke later...like anyone needs an excuse to smoke

Holiday??

What is this thing "Holiday" of which you speak??

Don't oversmoke, don't undercook. Enjoy the ribs brother. I have green peas and meatloaf in a Stanley thermos on the menu for the "holiday"

3-2-1 is usually way too long on any of my cookers. My benchmark on the WSM is 2-1-1 for untrimmed spares, which is what I usually do. On St. Louis ribs, I usually go 2-1-0.5 and check for doneness. I did a couple of racks of loin backs on the WSM without foil last time and they were not as tender as usual IMHO although everyone else raved. I'm usually cooking about 275 on the WSM with the IQUE and 250 on the offset. I rotate positions on the offset hourly, especially if I'm not foiling.

If you have room for the tips cook them at the same time and toss them in some beans.

^do that. St. Louis spares for me go around 4-5 hours, cooking somewhere in the 275° range

When we competed, we did the cook/foil thing to get the MAX control and flavor in our ribs and did very well in that catagory.
I still wrap when doing ribs as presents (bribes 8) ) for others since they have to go in foil for pickup/delivery anyway.

But here at home I just trim and season them and put them on the PG500 at 270 (ish) till they pass the bend test.
NO spritzing or saucing ever.
Normally 4-4.5 hours for loin backs and about 5-5.5 hours for spares.
They come out wonderful! 8)

The small "incremental" improvement with wrapping is in no way justified by the extra mess and labor of wrapping, IMHO.

Good Eats either way.

TIM

I guess I'm getting lazier as I age. I like to run my Offset at 275° to 325°.
I don't wrap Spare Ribs, but I sometimes wrap Baby Back Ribs...

Sunday I'm smoking Spares, A Deer Shoulder, and a couple Meat Loafs.
I will wrap the Deer Shoulder.
I'm going to inject it with Beef broth, give it a couple hours smoke,
and wrap to finish. (Those can dry out faster than I like...)

Back