View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #5
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
Pretty much as stated above. I learned to make scratch sausage gravy from Mom this way:

Brown sausage. Pull all the sausage to one side of skillet, reduce burner temp to low. I try and prop up the handle of the skillet with a coffee cup or something so that the grease pools on the opposite side, then pull all the sausage toward the handle.

Add about 2 heaping TBS of flour, adding butter if needed to get this ROUX to a nice consistency. Stir and brown the ROUX, adding salt and pepper to it. Mom said....ALWAYS SEASON THE ROUX and let it brown up as THIS is where all the flavor comes from. When the roux is JUST liquid (any more flour will make it clump together), add in milk, stirring constantly to prevent lumping. "UNtilt" skillet, adding milk (usually about 1/3 gallon for 1 lb sausage).

Turn burner to high, stirring often. Once gravy starts to boil, reduce heat and simmer to thicken, stirring often.

I like to use canned biscuits, but we just did scratch biscuits the last time. Look for an easy biscuit recipe. They're all over.

Good luck.
My family LOVES sausage gravy and biscuits.
Pretty much this is what I do, except I remove the sausage from the pan and add back in when the roux is ready for it.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote