• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Should I remove the bark

krshome

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
When adding wood chunks to my smoker should the bark stay on or be removed? I read somewhere it makes the meat bitter T or F?

This is my take on it. As long as the bark doesn't have mold or fungus on it, then it's fine. Now if you store your wood outside, especially any pieces laying on ground, they might be holding moisture between bark and wood. These are issues that would dictate me removing bark.

Besides those issues, I've never noticed any reason to remove bark. Also, every bag of lump I get has some pieces w/ bark still attached. :)

+1 what the gentlemen said above.

Most if not all of the bitter taste comes from white billowy smoke. White billowy smoke comes moist/wet wood (including soaked chips) and/or smothering the fire. Keep the
wood (with bark ON if you like) dry, put it on the fire in small amounts so as not to
smother the fire, keep the smoke very thin in that "sweet blue" hue we talk about.
You wont have a problem with bitter....

**PSSSST** Word is that The_Kapn spends most of his time removing bark from his pellets... :heh: :tsk:

It is tedious, but someone has to do it! :redface:

Actually, I was a stick burner and charcoal/chunk guy for a long time before I saw the light. 8)

TIM

Back