Battle of the BBQ Brethren, Sayville, NY - Oct 24-26, 2008

Those are some pretty nice raffle prizes. Hopefully this year I put the correct half of my tickets in the prize bag instead of keeping the portion with my name and number on it like I did last year.

Last year most of us teams donated a few bottles of rub or sauces, a team shirt, or whatever. We put together some real nice baskets and they raffled them off. We should all do the same this year. I'm in for some rub, and some team shirts.

Mike

This is NOT mandatory and it's not even suggested. I just want to keep everyone in the loop.

There will be a LARGE kids costume parade at the Sayville Fall Festival. Many of those kids may be coming through the park with their parents.

You may want to keep a bag of halloween candy on hand if you are into that sort of stuff.

Eric

Man, I better take out a second mortage for this comp:) ! When is the cooks meeting for the grilling, I am in that also but I don't want to come until saturday morning, so I can get one more shower in!!!!!

i have the two smokey joe weber grills that we can stuff the sauces and items into like last year, I will get them to Eric D this week

Last year most of us teams donated a few bottles of rub or sauces, a team shirt, or whatever. We put together some real nice baskets and they raffled them off. We should all do the same this year. I'm in for some rub, and some team shirts.

Mike

you can have as much sauce and rub as you would like from me let me know where to bring it

How about a sauce category as well?

If you would like to see how a judge would respond to a sauce you are working on, that is what this is designed for. The 'experiment' slot that Linda is volunteering is exactly for this purpose.

Eric

I've got a question for the grilling portion. I'm thinking of using fresh salsa with my chef's choice meal, do I need to make it there or can I bring it with me? I guess the same goes for the dessert, can I put all of my dry ingredients together ahead of time and just mix them with the wet when it's time or it all has to be done onsite?

Last edited:
Is this hot dog thing still happening? Any rules? Turn-in time? Prizes?

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Saturday, Oct 25
18.gif

High: 51 °F RealFeel®: 46 °F
Periods of rain

Saturday Night, Oct 25
31.gif

Low: 32 °F RealFeel®: 23 °F
Partly cloudy and very cold

Sunday, Oct 26
04.gif

High: 50 °F RealFeel®: 41 °F
Clouds and sunshine

Sunday Night, Oct 26
38.gif

Low: 32 °F RealFeel®: 28 °F
Mostly cloudy

Is this hot dog thing still happening? Any rules? Turn-in time? Prizes?

I'm editing this response as I believe that I misinterpreted the question.

The hot dog thing is still happening. Full rules with turn-in times will be included with the comprehensive grilling rules that will be emailed out late Monday night or Tuesday (depending on what time I stay up till Monday night).

Prizes will include $ and plaque.

Eric

Last edited:
I'm editing this response as I believe that I misinterpreted the question.

The hot dog thing is still happening. Full rules with turn-in times will be included with the comprehensive grilling rules that will be emailed out late Monday night or Tuesday (depending on what time I stay up till Monday night).

Prizes will include $ and plaque.

Eric

Cool. Wasn't sure if had been canceled with the kids q.

Very glad to see that the hot dog entry remains.

As it has previously been explained, Sabrett has become a sponsor providing money and product, and therfore, IMHO, should be embraced by everyone competing. Sponsorship is a good thing, don't you think? It is something that any and every competiton can benefit from.

And with this post, I have just advanced to being "One Chatty Farker!" :biggrin:

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Saturday, Oct 25
18.gif

High: 51 °F RealFeel®: 46 °F
Periods of rain

Saturday Night, Oct 25
31.gif

Low: 32 °F RealFeel®: 23 °F
Partly cloudy and very cold

Sunday, Oct 26
04.gif

High: 50 °F RealFeel®: 41 °F
Clouds and sunshine

Sunday Night, Oct 26
38.gif

Low: 32 °F RealFeel®: 28 °F
Mostly cloudy

Is this the real thing or is this another of your made up ones? NO RAIN ON SATURDAY PLEASE!!!!!

Is this the real thing or is this another of your made up ones? NO RAIN ON SATURDAY PLEASE!!!!!
That is the real deal as of now. Obviously they are typically clueless so I wouldn't count on he rain but with all of the warm weather we have and will be having a cold front is sure to come thru

Coming Soon:

Next 48 hours - Comprehensive timeline, full grilling rules

After Wednesday - Listing of competing teams.

Eric

LI logistics question

Are there any ferries from LI down to NJ or anywheres South? We are heading to Georgia after the contest and I hate to backtrack so much...
thanks
nancee

Back