Anyone cook on a Southern Yankee Pit?

TheMidnightSmoker

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am intrigued by these http://www.sybbq.com/ but would like to hear from someone who either owns one or at least has used one. I really like the fact that the firebox runs the length of the cooking chamber and it seems to be designed very well for controlling the intake. I am not sure if rotisserie is good idea-requiring electricity at each catering event that is. Any thoughts?

I haven't, but I have competed with some folks that have them, and they really love them.

Last fall we had a fellow biker brother bring one to a biker bar for a benefit cookout. It was the first time I had ever seen one and I must say I was pretty impressed. He had the towable 6' model and I really liked the rotisserie but don't know if I would want one full time. JMHO :thumb:

as a person who ripped off the older design, there are some problems with this unit.

as a person who ripped off the older design, there are some problems with this unit.

Maybe you didn't rip it off good enough. It is an amazing pit.

Whistler%20(48).JPG

Last edited:
may u stand corrected from this point on... I meant what I said... there are two problems with its design, only one of which was corrected by its ORIGINAL designer, Troy micheal austin, who after a ruckus with SYBBQ left them and took the round design with him.... they had to shift to a hexogonal design and he corrected the ash vent problem...

the second is... well... try smoking a 30 pound clod on there... its not gonjna happen... neither will a row of 14 plus pound turkeys.

not saying its defective.... just that mine is better LOL

heck, its no Oyler

Maybe you didn't rip it off good enough. It is an amazing pit.

Whistler%20(48).JPG

may u stand corrected from this point on... I meant what I said... there are two problems with its design, only one of which was corrected by its ORIGINAL designer, Troy micheal austin, who after a ruckus with SYBBQ left them and took the round design with him.... they had to shift to a hexogonal design and he corrected the ash vent problem...

the second is... well... try smoking a 30 pound clod on there... its not gonjna happen... neither will a row of 14 plus pound turkeys.

not saying its defective.... just that mine is better LOL

heck, its no Oyler

You mean, it's no Southern Pride.

0127_2_lg.jpg

i am not sure a southern pride can do a 30 pounder either. really not sure.

I have an older 6' southern yankee, and I love it, temp is very easy to control, its got a good capacity, tows easily. Does everything I need it to do.

Is it possible to supliment the wood heat with a gas burner of some type w/ thermostat / thermocouple just to keep it to temp when you'e smoked enough? How hard would a SY be to modify? Can a "Stoker" be used on it?
JR

Yes, I have done a vid for it, not hard, and yes

Last edited by a moderator:
Back