First smoke with the new toy

J

jazzspot

Really love this smoker!!
The BDS maintained great temp control & excellent burn time on one small load of Rancher briquettes. Did 2 dozen chicken wings and 2 slabs of baby backs on this first smoke. Total of a 4 1/2 hour smoke using 8lbs of briquettes which was too much. 5-6 pounds would have been enough for this short cook. I used one chunk of peach wood (the BDS sized chunks -- :wink: )
A temp of 225 was still going strong hours after I had pulled the ribs off the grill!!

Wings on the lower grill and ribs on the upper grill. BDS maintained 225-250, actually whatever I wanted the temp to be, throughout the duration. I only messed with the intake vent plugs to see how doing those things would affect the temp changes. I gotta learn the characteristics of this smoker. :wink:
The taste of both meats is fantastic!! The over the fire smoked taste is great. Yep, even after doing only one smoke, I know that I'm very satisfied with the purchase of my BDS. I think my Smokin' Pro is now my dedicated griller. I do love those cast iron grates!! :)

Here are a few pics ---

Chicken rub on
szfwbd.jpg

Rib rub on
2upboub.jpg

In the BDS
2e1hz6x.jpg

2w7lkd0.jpg

Temp holding steady four hours into this cook -- Man this is a great smoker!!
24ci1s4.jpg

103cz5y.jpg

Finished and ready to eat
21j3i8o.jpg

11ag101.jpg

2nqqul4.jpg

Nice job Jazz, and good pics. I got to enjoy some BDS wings on my first competition thanks to Mr. Emery.

Thanks much gents. Much appreciated!!

Yes, the wings were delish. Not as good as Mr. Emery's no doubt. :wink:
The ribs were tastey as well.

Looking good. Cook a butt and fatty. you can mess with temp without realy doing damage. Plus pulled pork off a drum is fantastic.

Congrats on the new BDS! I'm glad to hear you made the plunge, the pics are awesome! Dig your avatar too!

Thanks to all for the kind words!!

smokinvic said:
Very nice looking grub. Very nice avatar. Coletrane?

No smokinvic, you're close though. That pic is of the one and only Charlie "Yardbird" Parker! :icon_cool

Back