Brisket in Butcher Paper

Looks great, thanks for posting. Not to take anything away from the BP because I know it works, but I think by smoking 2 briskets the moisture level and bark is kicked up a little with all the moisture from the 2 briskets.

I always cook at least a couple of large pieces of meat on the UDS. Be it two briskets, or a brisket and a couple of butts. I see it as wanting to have at least 25 pounds of meat in the UDS to get proper cooking conditions.

All right I'll bite, anyone using this method in competition. I normally pan my brisket , but I'm not tearing the circuit up with my my brisket either. So I'm game for about anything.

All right I'll bite, anyone using this method in competition. I normally pan my brisket , but I'm not tearing the circuit up with my my brisket either. So I'm game for about anything.

I don't know, I imagine there are folkks who do well foiling brisket. Perhaps this could do well, and you would be out in the lead with it.

I did my first brisket Sunday, and wrapped it in butcher paper. When looking for the butcher paper all I could find was a roll that looked like it could last the rest of my life. Although it was only $18, I then went to the butcher counter at the supermarket and they gave me enough BP to do the wrap.

Cheapest I've found a 24" wide roll of BP is about $56 delivered (1,000 ft roll) and roughly the same price for a 30" wide roll (800 ft roll). Makes the $20 for a roll of 40#, 18" wide, 1,000 ft roll at Sam's more appealing (that price includes tax) but I would need to tape for large cuts. I'll keep checking for other options.

For me, normal practices. Start probing at 195F. Probe every 20-30 minutes until done.

Thanks for the thread. I did two briskets this past weekend without any foil or paper during the cook. One was even injected with Fab B. Came out good, but not quite as moist as you got. Not even the injected one. I need to try this...

Now, are you probing through the paper? And loosing all the juice in the paper?

Thanks Bob, this is on my list of things to do (perhaps when the diet that I thoroughly blew last week is over). I don't think I'd be patient enough to do all those temperature changes. I'm pretty lazy. Give Rob and family a big hug and kiss when you see him next. I should be in Reno 14-19 of October.

Mr. Arc,

Thank you for posting your meat done in paper, like you have.

Under advisement from the squirrel squad I have procured a roll of butcher paper and a fine choice brisky.

I will be attempting an epic brisket cook this weekend using the butcher paper method, and will report my results.

:thumb:

I did probe through the paper, there is not a lot of moisture loss, of course, I am using a metal skewer and once you get through the paper, it is just like probing a brisket for doneness.

There is some build up of liquid in the paper, and some steam, or at least hot air. And unless you are like me and love scalding burns and sore fingers, I suggest you handle the paper with some diligence and do not open it and reach right in.

Gore, the temperature changes are my thing and I suspect totally unnecessary. Others I read about doing this do not do the stepped temperatures.

Would parchment paper work or does it have to be "butcher paper"? I have a roll of parchment lying around for pizza is why I ask.

Fanfarkingtastic post. I'm actually glad you ended up with selects because I've always suspected that lower graded meat would still turn out great in the right hands - that is one of the roots of bbq, right? An experienced cook with a lesser cut of meat can turn out a product superior that of a less experienced cook with a nicer cut of meat. I've been thinking about grabbing selects sometimes for the challenge of it.

I've been using the BP lately as well. I like the fact that it breathes, and aside from wrapping meat, it's fantastic for putting down on the area where I prep and whatnot outside - makes for easy cleaning.

I always cook at least a couple of large pieces of meat on the UDS. Be it two briskets, or a brisket and a couple of butts. I see it as wanting to have at least 25 pounds of meat in the UDS to get proper cooking conditions.

I always wanted to do that on my UDS. My first question is I guess at what temp do you smoke them at?

And 2) Pork on top or Beef on top grate?

Back