Solutions for two

L

LVBBQMan

My favorite meat to smoke is definitely brisket. But as empty nesters, the standard packer brisket is far too much meat for us to consume. My natural inclination is to just buy a flat. But I have seen what appears to be a wide disaffection for buying just flats. What are the concerns of those here with respect to buying flats? And how have any other brethren out there handled the problem of "too much meat" presented by brisket packer? I know we could invite the neighbors over but that is an expensive solution when one is trying to control overall food costs.

I just buy a point for the wife and me, and we get 2-3 meals out of it. Cook it hot and fast on the UDS and enjoy the heck out of it.

I've never seen just the points in the meat case.

I do cook flats more often than whole packers. My advice is to stay away from flats that are really thin. Thin ones dry out easily.

Cheers,
Braddog

I figured this was standard practice, but maybe not...I don't fire up the smoker without intending to vacuum seal and freeze a good chunk. We're a house of 2 adults and a toddler.

I like to cook packers because we enjoy both the sliced flat and burnt ends. It's just two of us as well so we vac-u-suck and freeze the leftovers. I try to put enough for one meal in a package and if I need more i can always that out more packages.

It's pretty much just the two of us here also. I buy smal packers (around 13-14#) so I can fit them on my 18.5 WSM and just recently purchased a vacuum sealer.

I buy the flats. My butcher has them cryo sealed and untrimmed if I ask for them. They tend to be a good thickness and still not to large. I usually cook for 3 so I can get 2-3 meals out of one

I'm with the vacuum seal / freeze the leftovers crowd. It's worth it to go ahead and cook the meat and save it this way. I absolutely LOVE being able to pull out a vacuum seal bag with a couple slices of brisket in it and toss it in a pot of boiling water and let it simmer for 30 minutes or so and the have a really butt kickin' brisket sammich.

I cook full packers but I also invite my adult kids over for BBQ beef sammies, tacos, fajitas, and even BBQ beef "phili" style sandwiches on the weekends to finish up the leftovers. And, don't forget about the great BBQ beef chili and asian stir fry dishes that can be made from it.

Let me know when you do a packer and I'll go in half on it with you. I would love some brisket!

I smoked a flat only last weekend, and while it was good, it didn't have a large smoke ring and not a ton of smoke flavor except for the bark. I think it was because it cooked pretty fast, compared to a packer. I would do it again if that is all I could get, but I would not prefer it.
In short, I would freeze some or just have people over and share.

I'll have to agree on the vacuum sealer. Anyone who does bbq should own one. Especially if it's only the two of you. Pretty hard for two people to consume a brisket or a butt in one sitting.

Chuckies would seem to be about the right size for you. I usually get 2-4 meals out of a chuckie for my wife and I, depending on what we do with it.

I am in the freeze leftovers camp. Just two of us and I buy packers. Actually, I am going to smoke one up on Sunday.

We're empty nesters and my wife is a VEGETARIAN!:rolleyes: So, like others I'm a big proponent of the vacu suck. I also try to have guests over on the night of the cook.

Back