Orange Wood?

T

TexEx

Anyone ever use the wood of an orange tree? My neighbor is cutting down one of his trees and said I could have all the wood I wanted.
I was thinking of getting some (not a lot) and let it sit for a year to season and then use chunks of it for flavor.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used Lemon with great success. Take as much as you have room to store!

Anyone ever use the wood of an orange tree? My neighbor is cutting down one of his trees and said I could have all the wood I wanted.
I was thinking of getting some (not a lot) and let it sit for a year to season and then use chunks of it for flavor.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Ray

Ray,

Get it.... I got some from my brother last year and tried some... pretty good on poultry. I haven't tried it on anything else, as I want to "savor" the rest until I can make it to get more.

It is well worth the effort to use. It is a softer wood and will burn faster, but don't go too heavy with a lot of it until you get use to it. It in my opinion does burn "stronger" than a lot of other wood.

Bill

Go for it. Citrus wood is nice for almost everything.

One, thing. Cut it to whatever size you want while it is still green. Once it starts seasoning and drying out, orange wood gets very hard.

Sized for use, it will take much less than a year to be ready, probably only a few months-maybe three.

have fun

We use a lot of avocado, orange and lemon - Cut it into discs because qman is right, can be tough to cut after seasoned. We use lemon and orange on pork and chicken and fish. For me, a little orange goes a long way, and I mix it with hickory or mesquite charcoal. Good score!

Yes, orange is great - take it all. It's very hard, dense wood, so it burns nice and slow.

Thanks for all the feedback. The consensus is that Orange Wood is worth keeping and using. So I am going to keep as much as I can (until wife complains). I will chunk/cut it before it seasons as advised.

If it works out I will submit a report, maybe with pron....

Thanks again

Ray

Back