• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
No offense jlough, but it was called a UDS way before that bro. Search a little more then post facts. OBTW, that is one of the best build posts on the UDS. Norco is way cool!

My fault :oops: - just caught up in the excitement of the build process. I 've been reading the thread and keep wanting to reply along the way but then look at the posts and see they were written years ago. Great thread!

I liked this drum because it has a 2" bung down low so I'll be able to remove it and shake down the ashes.
Picture128.jpg

I believe JGH1204 coined the name Ugly Drum Smoker, at least as far as this forum is concerned.

Yep, I did some research early on to make sure I hadn't read it somewhere else both on this site and the internet. As the original post says, I was trying to build a drum smoker and it was turning out UGLY so I started the thread to get advice and titled it Ugly Drum Smoker. It was a play on words of the Big Drum Smoker that is sold commercially.

I had no idea the name would stick and this thread would be around years later. It took a 15 months to get to 1,000 posts and another 15 months to get to this point.

Finally!!!! I have been reading since last weekend. Wow lots of good info on this forum. I have been BBQin' for a long time but never smoked much. MY Father In Law has supposedly located me some food grade barrels for $5 a piece. I'm not sure if they will be lined or not they have supposedly had plastic bags in them. We shall see, it may be a week or 2 before they show up. I can handle the fab stuff no problem just need to get the parts collected. My plan is to build more than one when I get started. Thanks for all of the info. I'll post up once my barrels get here.

My fault :oops: - just caught up in the excitement of the build process. I 've been reading the thread and keep wanting to reply along the way but then look at the posts and see they were written years ago. Great thread!

:wink: Post a lot and more importantly...smoke a lot and post pics brother!

Well Poor Piggy 2 is finally getting shelves from a donated Brinkman grill I had for parts. I'll do the other side tomorrow.
Picture131.jpg

Picture132.jpg

Picture133.jpg

Picture134.jpg

Picture135.jpg

And what did you use in the side of your drum where you run the probe cables through the side?

Great looking drum!

David

The thermometers came from a store called Ocean State Job Lot they were $6.00 each and they work great. The things I ran the probes through are called aluminum cable clamps available from electrical suppy house.

Last edited:
BigAL I made them from perforated angle iron then bent them in a bit so they would be a little more square on the drum.

Dang Skidder, all of those mods are spot on! I love the little table that you mount your therms to. and the fold down shelf is a nice touch too. I badly need to finish up all the small parts to make mine complete. Mine doesn't even have a handle yet... but it still cooks :)

Tuck

Well Poor Piggy 2 is finished. Here's a few pics. Just have to seal the gap around the rotisserie.
Picture136-1.jpg

Picture137-1.jpg

Picture138-1.jpg

Back