• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Competition Chicken: The Best Form Of Entry

Vince RnQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
If you've cooked both KCBS and IBCA sanctioned events then you know that KCBS rules allow cooks to turn in just about any kind of barbequed chicken they like with the only stipulation being that there must be 6 identifiable portions while IBCA rules require that all cooks turn in one (possibly more) fully jointed half chickens.

So here's the question: Do you think the KCBS method or the IBCA method is the best method for cooking competition chicken?

Now I know it would take some kind of serious magic for anyone to fit 6 fully jointed half chickens into a 9" x 9" styrofoam box but lets suspend reality for the sake of discussion and talk about the merits of one versus the other.

Oh, and the management humbly requests that you keep your hands and feet inside the compartment at all times.

I've cooked in neither. But, IBCA sounds too strict to me. If someone can cook breasts (or thighs, backs, whatever) that totally rock ... then I think they should be allowed to do so. The category is "chicken", right? Not "whole half-chicken".

If you're going to do blind box judging, then KCBS. If you require cooks to prepare the whole animal, they shouldn't have to present it in styrofoam IMO.

Now if we are suspending reality... to properly judge big meat the best method is to bring judges right to the cooker, MIM style. Let them see you tear into it fresh off the smoker, and request where each sample is taken from. Whole animal is much more challenging than cooking parts, so it's a real test of the pitmaster's skill. I'd love to present whole birds to certified judges, but don't know of a contest in these parts that does this.

I like the challenge of the half chicken and no garnish. But I suck at chicken so what do I know? Best ever was 4th place when I cooked with Thom.

I would prefer for reps at a contest to announce at the cooks meeting, At this contest we will be cooking_____ a specified cut or type of chicken. It may be: bone in, skin on, breasts; or perhaps skinless, boneless, thighs; or maybe fully jointed skin-on halves;or whatever; just so everyone cooks the same cut and type. It of course could change depending on the sanctioning body's wish and hopefully the different cuts would be equally selected throughout the year. I think it would create more interest and excitement.

I would prefer for reps at a contest to announce at the cooks meeting, At this contest we will be cooking_____ a specified cut or type of chicken. It may be: bone in, skin on, breasts; or perhaps skinless, boneless, thighs; or maybe fully jointed skin-on halves;or whatever; just so everyone cooks the same cut and type. It of course could change depending on the sanctioning body's wish and hopefully the different cuts would be equally selected throughout the year. I think it would create more interest and excitement.

I like that "iron chef" vibe with the meat/cut choice. This though could be a problem for folks that prefer to have all the meats before they arrive at the event or for the out of town teams to try and find a grocery store with enough of the specified cut. The cuts would almost have to be provided to make that work.

The Birmingham AL KCBS contest uses that format on thier 'anything butt' by providing the meat for all the competitors in the category.

I kind of personally lean towards having a designated cut be standard for all events, then all teams are cooking the same cut, the judges all see and judge the same cut, and so-on.

I think people would rather hear about my story about bees in a BBQ Grill than me go on about KCBS and ICBA.

But I don't do what people want so...

But I think that in this event... if I were wanting to win a trophy I would chose the easier shot, KCBS because I could do anything from a chicken salad to....
actually... something that isn't even chicken like a Cornish Hen.
a whole damn chicken and with those choices I could find something I could comfortably excel in. The odds of me finding my niche are greater.

Some look at more than winning.. no judgment, just do, and like the more challenge or tradition.

If, on the other hand I were the type of person that wanted the more difficult task I would chose ICBA. Its simply the difference between one organization that opens up the rules so anything just about goes (and of course you get to dress it up with garnish) and another, more closed, that forces its competitors to win based on stringent requirements and an arbitrary latitude of what is right and wrong in exact minutes, seconds, and degrees. The open ones raise more money of course. :)

Of course if you do well in 1/4s then you have the advantage. Brisket... comes easy to me, ribs, oddly enough, took more work.

PS - If you feel strongly enough to disagree with my opinion kindly PM me instead of making this thread about MY Opinion. It's about ALL OF OUR opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe something to this thought process. Don't want to discourage creativity, but definately would like to see some better definitions of what is legal. Not knocking anyone here, just seems like the rules are sometime too vague. I just want to get away from rules and regulations and let great, tasty, moist, tender, bbq be rewarded appropriately.
I do think that KCBS does a great job!

I like the challenge of the half chicken and no garnish. But I suck at chicken so what do I know? Best ever was 4th place when I cooked with Thom.

By the way.. the secret dust for chicken recipe I gave you isn't just for frying... I thought you knew that.

Let's just say it could be a ranger's old secret. Denton in the house bro!

The jointed chicken would be great as it puts everybody on a level playing field. However, the challenges around choose your own cut and develop a plan around that cut is fun and makes winning with your own recipes, styles ect exciting.
Heck I am going to start turning in chicken salad this year :twisted:

Back