Informal AZ 'Contest' this weekend

G$

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
This weekend is the AZBBQA yearly event known as Hoof & Foot. It is basically a 'chicken and ribs and anything but' informal contest organized by the local association.

Some folks camp out over Friday night, however we just show up before dawn Saturday and have plenty of time to get things going. It is cold in the desert in January.

Point of this post was:
  • to publicly thank the host and organizers of this 'event'
  • to produce some good karma for my team (can we improve on our lucky 2nd place ribs from last year?)
  • and to say that I will miss Mr. Smoker and his new spice twins.

Is Jay from Otis and the Bird coming? I know he is itching to compete...

Bigmista said:
Is Jay from Otis and the Bird coming? I know he is itching to compete...

Don't think I have heard whether he will be there or not. I know he is planning for Rio Rancho NM in March like we are.

Good Luck and practice your SBD's I did at work yesterday but one was wet, kind of gross you know ?

brdbbq said:
Good Luck and practice your SBD's I did at work yesterday but one was wet, kind of gross you know ?

That's weird, I did not know you hung out with us before?

SBD's would have bene better than what we turned in.

Did not have our A game. Not sure there is a letter to describe our game, come to think of it.

I think 4 teams ended up showing up to cook. Like 18 last year. 2nds and 3rds aren't so great with 4 groups participating.

G$...

You should have come over to the other side where we were set up... I didnt even see you guys over there! We did a lame-a$$ job of advertising and promoting the contest, so that is why the turnout was lame.

Here's the 2nd place ribs.... They were some of the best I have ever made but not good enough! Ken Hunting (One Smoke Over The Line), formerly Gourmet Grills, a Traeger dealer, won Grand Champion. Getting beat by Ken is nothing to be ashamed of.... he can cook and has been doing this a long time.

jiarby

Attachments

• DSCN4109 (Small).JPG
    DSCN4109 (Small).JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 19
Yeah Glen, we got there early in the am and did not want to make noise as we set up. Figured it would fill up like last year anyway. When Aaron said participation would be low and the area would not fill in, our fire was started and we couldn't very well move!

We made forays to the camp as time permitted.

Ribs look great. Ours were over done.

I really missed this one,i've only competed once with the Spice Twins so far. My new set up would have been perfect for a overnigther at ranch.Good looking ribs jiarby. Welcome back to the forum,go to cattle call and introduce yourself. :wink:

Thx, Mr. Lee...

I was hoping to see your SW boxes again. I used Jim's FatBoy that he has for sale... he is a pellet head now.

Back