Art of BBQ in Tulsa

S

sigmasmokers

Entered in a good size competition this weekend here in Tulsa. Probably between 70 and 80 teams. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Steve

I'll be there. Just gonna get a taster's kit and hang out a little. I didn't want to judge this year. I'll look you up and say hi. I remember your set-up from last year.

Just got back from Art of BBQ at the beautiful OU-Tulsa campus. We took the kiddos and did the taster kit thing for $10.00 apiece. It's for a good cause, you know. Unfortunately, I didn't get by to introduce myself to brother Steve until we were on our way back to the car with a couple of mucho overheated kids in the stroller. It's 96 degrees right now- it was farking hot at the event!
Anyway, it was cool to meet Steve and the other Sigma Smokers- they've got a sweet party bus! I did get to sample some of their ribs, and I'm very impressed! For one, I've never seen that much meat on a rib. And they were done just about perfectly, IMO! Very nicely glazed sweet and hot sauce on 'em- and the texture was right on! Good job, Steve! They were a damn sight better than any of the People's Choice ribs I got.
It was a good time, all in all. Saw some cool cookers and sampled a lot of Q. Some of you may know Keri C. from TVWB or Basso's board- she put out some pretty good grub. Her hog apple beans are the bomb-chit-diggety! Good event. Hot, but fun.
Steve- let us know how you guys did.

VitaminQ said:
Just got back from Art of BBQ at the beautiful OU-Tulsa campus. Some of you may know Keri C. Good event. Hot, but fun.
Yep, Keri and Robert are good folks, and Keri is a great cook! Were they under one of the few shade trees on the south side along Yale? I was across from them last year, great contest, just couldn't make it this year.

Here's a pic I took last year. If I recall correctly they were blaring out the OSU fight song over some awesome speakers all during turn in times, it was cool.

Attachments

• Sigma Smokers.jpg
    Sigma Smokers.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 42
Paola Greg said:
Yep, Keri and Robert are good folks, and Keri is a great cook! Were they under one of the few shade trees on the south side along Yale? I was across from them last year, great contest, just couldn't make it this year.

Yep- they had a nice shady spot a little further North than last time. And they moved the judges tent South a bout a hundred yards so they were closer to turn-in, too.

The Sigmas had their O-State song playing again,too! Not quite as loud, though.

Results

The long HOT weekend is finally over. We had a great time and it was great finally meeting one of the Brethren. Thanks for stopping by, just wish we could have spent more time together. However, I was very disappointed with the results. This was by far the worst we have ever finished and we thought it was the best food that we have ever turned in. This was my 8th event to do and this was the first time I didn't get my name called. Made tearing down our site after the judging in the 100 degree temp a lot worse. There were 72 teams entered and I finished about 40th overall where my worst overall finish up to now was 13th. Sucked. I have finished in the top 10 in pulled pork in every contest I've entered(5th 2 months ago) and we thought we did the pork we have ever done and place 65th out of 72 team. I'm dazed and confused. Ribs and Chicken about 30th and Brisket 16th. I'm trying not to panic and go back to the drawing board on all of our food because we have had success in the past. Just don't know what to do.. This is a new experience for me. I'll post pics of the weekend and our turn in boxes as soon as I can..Any advice?????

Steve

Do any of you guys have experience with thinking that you could not cooked any better food only to completely bomb with the judges?

Steve, I'm not a competitor, so I don't really know what to tell you. It seems to me, though, that sometimes you're just up against someone else's subjective idea of what is and isn't good, and at some point you and they will disagree. I know the ribs I had were fantastic- I wanted more all day long!

sigmasmokers said:
Do any of you guys have experience with thinking that you could not cooked any better food only to completely bomb with the judges?

Steve

Yes and no.
At turn-in time, I put on my "Judges hat". Drives Chad crazy :lol:
I compare our entry to all I have cooked, judged, and seen as a Gopher for Kevin and Ray.
I try to wipe out the "pride" felt as the cook. It is a judging thing now, not a cook thing.
I quit thinking "best" or "worst" and expecting certain "exact" results. I think in "ranges" like "last, middle, or top third" and seldom in terms of winning.
Helps save my sanity :lol:
But, on occasion, it is just so good I gotta say "money meat" here. Still not thinking 1st, but somewhere in the significant money placings.
Normally, I and the judges are "in the ballpark".
But not always.
Our last event, cooking alone at Dothan, I screwed up chickie and ribbies. Expected bottom third and got it.
Pork and Brisket were outstanding and got a paycheck for pork at 5th. So far so good.
But brisket just missed the money at 12th. Have no idea why it was not top 10, but not my call. It was easily as good as the last two events which earned 2nd and 5th in equally tough fields. So--go figure.

So, yeah.
The scores can leave you scratching your head.
Try to think in terms of ranges and that seems to help.
Also, never hang your hat on one set of scores.
Unless you are "way down" constantly in the rankings, just cook on with only minor adjustments if you feel the need.
It will come your way with time if you are patient and consistent.

FWIW

TIM

on edit--72 team fields can introduce a lot of variables. Never can tell about them "biggies".

Back