Questions about fuel use.

Dadeo719

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Getting ready to go from just small charcoal grills to a bigger stick smoker, just wondering how much wood do you guys typically use in a cook, a competition, or a season. Should I start looking into getting a chord of wood soon?

You'll go through a fair amount.
Figure a split, about the diameter of a soda can every hour. More when it's cold out.
If you want just one type of wood, like cherry, I'd get a cord if you have room to store it outta the weather.
You want the wood dry all the time.

In my little cheap off set I start with a good bed of lump then add 1 split about every 45 minutes if i want to ramp up the heat i might add 2 smaller splits ...but thats just me I like cooking around 275-300 ....hope that helps some

Thanks guys. So looks like for a competition I'd probably be taking 15 to 20 split pieces and what 40 lbs of charcoal or more. Just trying to look at what my total costs are so if we ever do vending down the road I'd have a ball park figure.

I know a lot of it is trail and error and experience neither of which I have sadly.

I cook mostly at 300 I start with two and some lump to get a nice coal bed and add I preheated about every 45 min. I rarely have a Cook go past 8 hrs. so 10 or<

I would start looking for opportunities for free wood, but I'm cheap. Earlier this summer they took down a 3' diameter cherry tree two houses down from me. A friend took down a dead oak earlier this season. Whenever there is a big storm, lots of maple limbs can be found in the neighborhood. Also check Craigslist. If you need more than you can pick up free, then start ordering cords.

Is any maple ok? We have a lot of what people call water maples here.

Back