• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

royal oak charcoal???

I have to agree with Goldenfinger and Charcoal addict, there's not a lot of choice up here. I've had bags of RO with huge chunks, and bags with mostly little pieces, but I've also tried the Maple leaf lump that everyone loves, and I really don't taste much of a flavor difference.

Outside Mesquite and cocoanut briquettes don't think there would be any effect on the flavor. The start-up smell with some cheap lump is excuse to head back in the house for a beer until it burns off.

The reason I would pay more for Wicked Good or a solid South American lump would be purely for performance rather than flavor profile.

Aside from the sparks Nature's own (sold at Canadian tire) is a decent economic brand. Basques Sugar Maple can be hit and miss on piece sizes. Maple charcoal has fragility issues and can be hit or miss on the size of the pieces.

Most of the hardwood lump has to be imported into Canada and that's the wallet killer. Over zealous government taxes. You have $800 USD for one day road trip to the US. Even with the price of gas you could $800 dollars worth of lump and briskets in the US for what would nearly equal $1600 dollars in Canada.

The other option is you order pallet loads from the US fairly cheaply and ship via a brokered courier and sadly you would still end up saving 35% as long you purchased bulk from a state that boarders your province.

I have used both ro and kingsford and I have never seen ro produce more ash.
if ash is an issue then use ro lump. most any ro labled something else will do a great job.
lump will inherently have small pieces. its why you get a piece of expanded metal and put that over the coal grate.

Go to GFS and pickup there lump it's re bagged royal oak. On the south side the feed store has re bagged RO. In the city Chicago firewood supply has RO. Hope this helps .

I have to agree with Goldenfinger and Charcoal addict, there's not a lot of choice up here. I've had bags of RO with huge chunks, and bags with mostly little pieces, but I've also tried the Maple leaf lump that everyone loves, and I really don't taste much of a flavor difference.

Hey George,
Do you guys have a decent BBQ store in there..? I used to have a really good one in Calgary, but it'd be a bit of a drive now for sure. Definitely nothing where I am... unless you count HD or CdnTire.

Otherwise, might be worth it to have a pallet of good quality charcoal delivered to Border Services and make the drive to pick it up..?

Not too concerned though... the RO still gets it done in both my Weber and UDS without too many complaints... The rest of the charcoal here at either HD, CdnTire or Wally World burns really bad... lots of waste, ash and hard to keep going if the humidity is high...

...I've had everything from small pieces that fall through my Performer's grate to pieces of 1" x 6" @ nearly 6" long come out of these things..?

Thoughts..? :confused:

Sounds like Royal Oak to me! :wacko: :wink: :mrgreen:

lump will inherently have small pieces. its why you get a piece of expanded metal and put that over the coal grate.

Perforated steel sheet for me... sure helps on the Weber. :-D
z3JImh4l.jpg

Back