my bbq boneless lamb leg

D

dog3442

hey first post, great forum here, learning alot reading all your posts.
Figured id post some pics of a lamb bbq i did recently. I look forward to it getting colder and doing some winter BBQ too.

Got a lamb leg, this isnt spring lamb, getting closer to mutton i think. 11lbs of meat without the bone. Trimmed a bit of the fat off but kept most of it as its pure gold and youd be crazy to toss it. Before folding it i filled the inside with garlic slivers, a variety of fresh and dry herbs, oregano, sage, rosemary, thyme, parsley, marjoram. Onion powder, garlic powder, various sea salts and himalayan salt, pepper and some red pepper flakes. Folded it and tied it up and rubbed the outside with the same mix. Had my Maverick thermometer right next to the meat, fire on the other side of the grill smoker using a mix of apple, cherry, hickory and pecan wood. Kept the temp between 225 and 275 for about 5 hrs. Sometimes it got to 300 if i put too much wood. Had some foil with water in it below to collect drippings.

The internal temp when i was done was 170. Untied it at the end to smoke the inside a bit closer to the wood for a few minutes. Turned out great, all that fat on the outside helped keep the meat moist. Plenty of meat for everyone and i was eating lamb sandwiches for 3 days. I grew up in a Greek family so every easter we make an entire lamb on the rotisserie as its a tradition. This was much easier than setting up the spit. Lost the pics of it after slicing but i can tell you it had beautiful smoke ring. Heres a couple of pics

IMG_1129_zpsd4d109ff.jpg

IMG_1130_zps0aef903b.jpg

IMG_1132_zps4dec9e86.jpg

IMG_1135_zpsc1b108bc.jpg

IMG_1136_zpsd07646a7.jpg

IMG_1138_zps3b0e894c.jpg

IMG_1137_zps64a0605e.jpg

IMG_1133_zpsb93a700c.jpg

IMG_1131_zps83f8aced.jpg

IMG_1134_zps56cc4d34.jpg

looks and sounds good...but why so high on the IT? Most people I know prefer their lamb more in the medium-rare/medium range

looks and sounds good...but why so high on the IT? Most people I know prefer their lamb more in the medium-rare/medium range

i figured since its a rolled piece the inside was also an outside surface which was touched by a potentially contaminated knife and butchers block so therefor must be cooked to done temp for an outside surface or ground meat, 165

this is the first time ive done this, i think next time i could try cooking it about an hour less, then unroll it and quickly expose the inside surfaces to direct heat to make sure the surfaces are safely cooked. Either way it really was very moist on the inside, i guess next time it will be even more moist

i figured since its a rolled piece the inside was also an outside surface which was touched by a potentially contaminated knife and butchers block so therefor must be cooked to done temp for an outside surface or ground meat, 165

this is the first time ive done this, i think next time i could try cooking it about an hour less, then unroll it and quickly expose the inside surfaces to direct heat to make sure the surfaces are safely cooked. Either way it really was very moist on the inside, i guess next time it will be even more moist

That's about 20 degrees of safety!

That's about 20 degrees of safety!

are you saying i should cook it to 145? thats enough for a surface? Im aware now even pork is recommended safe at 145 but thats internal, not surface as im dealing with here in this folded over and tied lamb leg

sure looks great ! I usually buy those wrapped up ones from costco and stick it on my rotisserie.

That is some good looking meat! :thumb: My better half does not like lamb. The smell makes her nauseous. Can't cook it at home. Can't order it in a resto. Can't even cook it at a friend's house and wear the same clothes back home. I very rarely get to eat it but it's one of my faves. (I make a mean braised lamb shank that I cook up at our annual ice fishing trip). I have a fall fishing trip coming up soon and I'm going to borrow your recipe and cook it up for our Saturday feast. Can't wait to dig my teeth into it!!!

looks great to me mate, got a lot of fat on it

Welcome to the Forum. That looks great, you need to enter that in the "legs" throwdown!

KC

That is some good looking meat! :thumb: My better half does not like lamb. The smell makes her nauseous. Can't cook it at home. Can't order it in a resto. Can't even cook it at a friend's house and wear the same clothes back home. I very rarely get to eat it but it's one of my faves. (I make a mean braised lamb shank that I cook up at our annual ice fishing trip). I have a fall fishing trip coming up soon and I'm going to borrow your recipe and cook it up for our Saturday feast. Can't wait to dig my teeth into it!!!

thanks, cool enjoy it, others have told me how they dont like the smell or taste of lamb, i dont understand it but scientifically theres a reason for it, some natural compound in lamb that causes a certain smell and taste. Whatever, theyre all nuts!

Back