Kaiser's First Brisket Blitz with Pron!

KaiserKrebs

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Here are some additional pics of my first brisket I cooked this last weekend, thanks to all the great info, contained in this site. I was very happy with the results for the first time out doing a brisket. I had only done one test cook on this Akorn, before I decided to attack a brisket.

The pics are of my coal set up, the brisket one hour into the cook, the briskie after the six hour mark, my burnt ends, the din-din plate, and the brisket sandwhich the following day made from the pulled flat.

I cooked an 11.8lb select packer, rubbed with Meathead's Big Bad Beef Rub. I kept the Akorn up around 300 degrees, my target range was 275-300. I felt like I was chasing temps a bit, but the Maverick ET-73 worked like a champ on this cook.

Just used KF Blue, and Cowboy Hickory chunks. the family loved it, and I did as well. I learned a ton, and the point was the star, and the burnt ends were BBQ nuggets of the Gods! Final asessment, was that the point was outstanding, the flat was good as well, but it was a little lean. It pulled apart nicely, but there was virtually no smoke ring to speak of.

I can't wait to do the next one, and I've found a source for Choice Packers, so that's what I'll do next time. Thanks to all the Bretheren, for the great advice, and special thanks to Bludawg for his concise " I'm Fixin to learn ya somethin' " posts for the noobs. :grin:

Attachments

• fsmall.jpg
    fsmall.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 177
  • foil small.jpg
    foil small.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 179
  • cubessmall.jpg
    cubessmall.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 179
  • smallplate.jpg
    smallplate.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 179
  • sandwichsmal.jpg
    sandwichsmal.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 179
Wow. That looks awesome!

I see that you wrapped. Did you wrap anything in there with the meat? Or was it just the meat?

I wrapped at the four hour mark, spritzed the brisket with 50/50 Worcestershire sauce and water mix. Right before I foiled, I'm pretty sure it hit the stall, stayed at 170 IT for a very long time. After the foil climbed to 173 right away.

It's 7:30 AM here on the east coast and now you got me craving some brisket hash & fried eggs.

Back