UDS burn out question

Indy1204

Reaction score
Hey guys. I picked up a drum the other week and got all the holes drilled and parted picked up. Next order of business is burning it out. (See pics) The drums has been reconditioned. I told the company what I was using it for and they said all reconditioned drums are dipped in some (acid??) bath and rinsed. They always recommend burning out as well. It doesn't appear to have a lining, just feels like bare metal. So my questions are...

1. Does that look like paint on the inside?
  2. How do I get the paint off the lid? Toss it in the drum when I burn it out?
  3. How long do you normally burn it out?
  4. How will the paint on the outside fare? Will it mostly burn off, and will it be black smoke?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20130503_140356.jpg
    IMG_20130503_140356.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20130503_140423.jpg
    IMG_20130503_140423.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 73
In that pic it looks like the dreaded tan liner. Certainly doesn't look like bare metal to me.
Yes the outside paint will burn off.

Plan on burning forever and then grinding forever more....

I'd get it sandblasted myself. Been there, done that mod.

The tan liner is not that bad just burn it hot and it should mostly burn off the red one is the dreaded color. What dosent burn off wire wheel works magic good luck

Oh man, not what I wanted to hear! There certainly doesn't feel like any sort of liner on the inside. When I tap it with a screwdriver it rings just like metal. Feels like metal to the touch as well. Is it possible that its paint? Any thoughts on the lid and how to burn that out?

Its really not that bad i burned my hot for a few hours 90% was gone after word the lid i just wire wheeled. If you really dont want to deal with it get it sand blasted

The tan liner is not that bad at all most if not all will come out with a good burn. As for the lid if u burn it u take a chance of the heat warping it and it not sealing well i would sandblast, flap dics or wire wheel the lid

Sounds good. I'll just burn it out and go at it with the wire wheel. I've got lots of spare wood to burn. Appreciate the quick replies.

One last thing, off topic. My lid doesn't have any holes in it. Do I need to drill a few and use them as an exhaust, or does it not require it? I'm using the three 1" holes at the bottom, one being a ball joint design.

You absolutely need a hole in the lid for the exhaust to vent otherwise the smoke will just build up in the chamber until it finds some place to go... Boom.

Also you dont want stale smoke lingering around your pit because it will create creosote. I believe someone here can help you with the proper exhaust hole diameter to match your intake.

That would be great if anyone had that info readily available. (Regarding the lid exhaust hole size) Thanks. I spoke to the company I got the drum from and they said it has a painted on phenolic liner. I guess that's why it still felt like bare metal. Looks like it won't be much trouble at all as you guys mentioned. Thanks again.

the most common exhaust that I've seen is 8 holes spread evenly each 1/2" in diameter. Another method is a 2 inch hole with steel pipe threaded in. I used 6 holes 3/4" and it works great for me.

Back