Back Yard Bomber BBQ MJH

jhuyser

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with the MJH? Pros and Cons? Does it hold temps well when it is 20 degrees out? etc etc etc

Very nice cookers, especially the newly redesigned MJH. They hold temperatures great at temps far colder than 20. On top of that, Josh is a pleasure to work with. I have cooked on the old mjh and little bomber, now I have a new MJH on order.

There were some cons for me on the old mjh, but those have all been addressed with the new design. I will say that temperature control was and is not a concern with any of his cookers. I have no doubt they would work great at -30.

Things that were addressed: bigger firebox, more space between shelves, some add on options.

Last edited:
Do you place a water pan at the bottom of yours? Does it still add plenty of moisture to the air? since the smoke comes from the top? I have been talking to josh, and yes very quick to reply

I use a couple of small splits to warm the metal up, but other than that I just use lump and chunks of wood.

I am not a fan of water in a cooker so I won't run it with water in it, but that is a personal preference of mine.

Last cook on the MJH used a horseshoe burn. 13.8 lb Bag of coal with chunks of Apple in the mix and it was at 240 degrees for over 15 hrs. That included using the fuel to warm it up from cold start. It was 25 degrees out with winds 10-20 mph. I cant wait to see what she'll do in the summer.

B1FE776B-940D-4547-9696-1EF6B85A6CE2-12486-000005EA16A633ED_zps582698ab.jpg

Also a Sausage Machine!

6B2E9B9F-BF14-4D11-9680-B73D18248684-3067-000001AADE2D567C.jpg

I do put a waterpan on the bottum. more so to let the grease
drip into it though. Cooking top down is where its at for me!

Last edited:
I would suggest all of your guys wait 4-8 weeks to order one so ours gets done faster. :razz:

I would suggest all of your guys wait 4-8 weeks to order one so ours gets done faster. :razz:

Amen. I've got mine ordered on this batch too.

From my research, the 2" of insulation will keep the cooker going in the coldest weather you are going to stand going outside to smoke something. So if you can get to your smoker without a snow plow, it's going to work for you. Dollar for Dollar it seems to be the best cabinet smoker on the market.
You have until the 15th to get your order in for the MJH at $1399. It goes up $200 more after that.

Ive got a backwoods with 1" of insulation and it flat out doesnt care what is going on. had it running at 9 below multiple times this winter. the MJH has 2" and Im possitive it wont even notice the weather either.

any insulation is 100x better than none IMO. 2" is a heck of a lot

Is the gaskets on the doors stuck on with high temp silicone? How long will that last before the heat gets to it? Just wondering.

Is the gaskets on the doors stuck on with high temp silicone? How long will that last before the heat gets to it? Just wondering.

This is why I just bought an Assassin, the tape lines and seals turned me off on the bomber. Not saying its a bad cooker because of those things but after all my research on verticals I couldn't get those images out of my head!

I have had both the old MJH and Little Bomber gravity feed above 350 and had no issue with the gasket coming off. Doesn't mean it couldn't happen but it isn't something I worry about.

The gasket is a head scratcher. Everthing looks great and then the gasket shows up like that.

will let you all know, just ordered mine last friday... I wouldnt worry about the gasket. Havent you seen gaskets on old wood bruning stoves? they last for ever...

This is why I just bought an Assassin, the tape lines and seals turned me off on the bomber. Not saying its a bad cooker because of those things but after all my research on verticals I couldn't get those images out of my head!

I bet the Bomber proves to be an excellent smoker. But I'm an Engineer, and when I look at those photos I cringe. It's just a personal thing for me, again, I'm sure it'll be OK and cook excellent food. AND, it is 1/2 the cost of an Assassin - not a minor issue - cash is always a big part in the decisions I make too.

But Nasty, I agree, these pics were just one of a number of reasons I did not consider a BY Bomber. Like you, I just couldn't get the images of all those welds, sloppy paint, messy silicone, and wavy and irregular gaskets out of my head. The fact is, if that's the part you can see, I would not like the parts I can't see either. If I were to purchase something built like what is shown in the photos, I wouldn't even be able to sleep at night - that's the truth.

My wife would say that I'm overly anal about these sorts of things when they don't matter, and she's probably right. One of the "banes" of being an Engineer.

I am anxious to hear about how these new MJH bombers cook though. I'm betting they cook awesome Que, and in the end, it is all about the eating for me . . . . .

seems like all it would take is a piece of plywood cut 2" smaller than the door would work as a template and everything would be straight.

Back