• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

My YS 640 rocks!!

Bigdog

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Well, I'm 2 for 2. My first cook was a spiral cut honey glazed ham that my wife said was my best yet. Now I hit it out of the park with tritip, grilled veggies in SOW marinade, burgundy mushrooms, and chocolate pudding cake. The wife said it was the best meal so far. I also did a double batch for the neighbors as they gave me their old trampoline for the grandkids that we are raising. I have grilled tritip before, but this time I smoked it at 250 to 120, cranked her up then seared it up up to 130. Really easy to do with the 640 and the grill grates.

A shout out has to go to Andy G. for the recipes and to Ron-O for the advice.

Aw, com' on. You know I can't read. I want pictures!

Of the pit at least.

Sorry, no pics. And yes, you gotta get a 640 Gore. It took a lot of convincing but I have made the wife a believer. I still love the MOAB but it is a PITA to get fired up. The 640 takes a flick of the on switch and a push of the on button, and ya, make sure that there are pellets in the hopper.

I'm ordering mine in a month and I'm going crazy. Hearing your success story only makes me more excited and more antsy.

Glad you are liking it.

I'm ordering mine in a month and I'm going crazy. Hearing your success story only makes me more excited and more antsy.

Glad you are liking it.

Have you ever attended one of the cooking classes at ATBBQ?

What pellets (make and flavor) did you use and which firmware are you running? Would love to hear more about your YS640 experiences. I agree YS640 is a winner. Six top 8 finishes in eight comps for pork. Also cooked killer wings, turkey, and whole chicken on it for fun at home. My wife basically does not eat meat except for white meat chicken. I cooked chicken breasts on the yoder that my wife says were the most moist and flavorful chicken breasts shes ever eaten. Yoder FTW.

Have you ever attended one of the cooking classes at ATBBQ?
I have not been there at all yet. It's about a five hour drive from here so it's tough just to drop in. I would like to go there though and I'm sure the classes are good. Who teaches them?

What pellets (make and flavor) did you use and which firmware are you running? Would love to hear more about your YS640 experiences. I agree YS640 is a winner. Six top 8 finishes in eight comps for pork. Also cooked killer wings, turkey, and whole chicken on it for fun at home. My wife basically does not eat meat except for white meat chicken. I cooked chicken breasts on the yoder that my wife says were the most moist and flavorful chicken breasts shes ever eaten. Yoder FTW.
BBQ Delight pecan and cherry 50/50 mix and whatever is the latest firmware as it has a born on date of 9/17/12.
I have not been there at all yet. It's about a five hour drive from here so it's tough just to drop in. I would like to go there though and I'm sure the classes are good. Who teaches them?
Andy Groneman of Smoke on Wheels and I am his sous chef and pit bitch. The reason I ask is that we have had guys from Nebraska attend.
Sounds awesome. I would love a Yoder.
Yes you would but UK shipping would be rough.

Andy Groneman of Smoke on Wheels and I am his sous chef and pit bitch. The reason I ask is that we have had guys from Nebraska attend.
It's not out of the question by any means, but just tough with two young children and my wife and I work odd schedules.

It is something I will follow on the ATBBQ site and see if one would motivate me to make the drive. Don has been great to talk to and I'd like to meet and thank him in person for all of his help.

I agree I bought mine from the Rep at the KCBS banquet...they even dropped it off on their way back. Cooks great I have had zero problems, I did upgrade the whimpy wheels and casters that it came with.

Back