Smoked Johnny Cake Question

NCGuy68

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Howdy Qing Friends,

Sweetie asked me a question I couldn't answer which isn't unusual at all....:mrgreen:

She asked if there is such a thing as smoked Johnny Cakes (corn bread). So I thought, now that right there is an interesting thought but I've never heard of such a thing.

After consulting the Offical Southern Redneck BBQ Guide, I didn't find anything.

So I ask ya'll, has anyone tryed this?

Maybe bake in the oven as usual and then finish them in the Smoker.

Any ideas, info is appreciated.

A smoker is just an oven with smoke.
Basically, anything you cook in the oven will work in a smoker.

Will it benefit or be good from the smoke??---that depends :oops:

There are several threads here where folks have done cornbread in a smoker and it turned out well.

Cheap and easy to try yourself to see if you like it. :grin:

TIM

You're right Tim, I'am gonna try one pan and see how it turns out.

My only concern is that the recipe calls for 400 F. and I'am not sure that Old, Tired Smoker of mine can maintain that temp long enough.

But, I'am gonna give it a shot!

I make that stuff and it's great. I use only lump, no wood, because the cake takes on the smoke flavor of a very well seasoned cooker.

Yeah I've made cornbread 2x now on the Weber. only issue I have is it's hard to get little direct heat and a lot of indirect in that small of a space. I've burnt the bottom both times but it can be cut off easily.

I make that stuff and it's great. I use only lump, no wood, because the cake takes on the smoke flavor of a very well seasoned cooker.
Gotcha Bro. Covered or uncovered pan? Cast iron or AL foil?

Baking over live fire can be done with a little smoke, although most folks get a hot clean burning fire and just take advantage of the flavor from the lump. I think the sauce and cheese on a pizza for example benefit more from a little smoke than the crust does. When I make biscuits or corn bread I don't use additional flavor wood. Here is one of those "beer breads", I just free form them on a pizza stone and let it go to town.​

DSC05916JPGa.jpg

DSC05961JPGa.jpg

DSC01418a.jpg

Back