Pizza Woes

E

eddiepro

Hi all!

I tried my hand at pizza tonight, and from a form factor, they can out great! From a taste stand point, not so much. All of the ingredients were the same as I have done before in the oven, so I know the ingredients didn't kill me. The pizza just had a bad smoke flavor, like licking a burnt up grate after cooked and cooled. I used my BGE, plate setter-feet down, grill rack, stainless steel washers and bolt (my extended rack pieces) and a pizza stone. The charcoal was a fresh bag of Mali's, and temps were hovering around 550 or so.

Any thoughts?

Thanks Brethren!

-ed

u2eqyryp.jpg

uregataz.jpg

Oh and is this a problem?

a5u7upyp.jpg

Im not familiar with Mali's charcoal but I do know that its not all that uncommon to find stuff other than charcoal in lump charcoal bags. The naked whiz says the argentina made charcoal from Mali's had melted plastic in the bag they sampled. Maybe thats your problem?

My guess has to go to bad charcoal as well. A 550F fire should have no off odors, unless the charcoal or your cooker is somehow contaminated. Plastic would be bad tasting for sure.

My concern is that last pic. I have nothing to add, but waiting for input from thoes in the know.

I have never seen that discoloration on a BGE before, is the coating chipping off?

I have never seen that discoloration on a BGE before, is the coating chipping off?

What im wondering is if theyre air pockets that get heated, then pop, and shoot the glze on top of them off?

What im wondering is if theyre air pockets that get heated, then pop, and shoot the glze on top of them off?

To respond to both, this "stuff" as I can tell, wipes off, almost like a crust? I don't know-I haven't used my egg in 2+ weeks and it has been out in the rain under a canvas cover.

As for the egg, I figured a good nuclear burn off was in order after this debacle. I left it at over 800 for an hour and a half-now the dome is sealed shut!

I can't win tonight...

You burned the gasket, you will eventually get it open, then you can replace the gasket. But, you cooker is almost certainly clean inside now. :biggrin1:

It's likely just something on your gasket. They can sort of weld themselves together.

find the spot and just slide a butter knife in-between. Tomorrow is another day.

I thought it was bird droppings no the outside of the egg there lol.

So another day, another adventure! Gasket is definitely shot! Kind looks like those bits of bacon that make it through the entire cook session when you fry it, black and crispy!

The out side of the dome is still a mystery. I cleaned it this morning with some paper towel, simple green, and elbow grease. The finish is in intact, I don't know what prompted this.

Next cook will most certainly have different lump.

And this was the second pie that didn't have as pronounced carbon taste...

avyryqy7.jpg

I have a similar problem with my UDS.. There is no seal so that wont be an issue and there is no crust on the lid but anything that has a crust (breads) has a not so nice flavor. Wonder if it needs to go thermal also or just a good car wash on the inside.

You don't want the stone directly on the plate setter since it can get too hot. I use the three ceramic feet that came with the Egg as spacers for my pizza stone. The air gap keeps it from getting too hot.

Thanks. That's what I meant...using the three ceramic feet. The grill rack is probably too far away from the heat for optimum pizza cooking.

Just moisture weeping out.Not a biggie.Sometimes if your BGE gets built up with gunk you will get an acrid taste in food until you do a clean burn.I always do a clean burn then completely empty out my BGE before baking breads,pizzas,etc.

Just moisture weeping out.Not a biggie.Sometimes if your BGE gets built up with gunk you will get an acrid taste in food until you do a clean burn.I always do a clean burn then completely empty out my BGE before baking breads,pizzas,etc.

Good to know! Thanks!

Also if this is the first time you used the stone on the grill after using it in an oven it will smoke and steam like crazy burning off all the oils that have accumulated in the stone. Oven cooking and grill cooking are so completely different. First time I used my stone outside on the grill it sizzled like crazy burning off the grease/oils from the previous indoor pizza cookings.

I'm with RonL I use the three little legs to elevate the stone to create an air pocket. Sometimes when my egg is coming up to temp is smoke and smells carbon like. I just wait it out until I have a clean and smoke free fire going, sometimes 1/2 hour. right before i put pizza's on the stone i throw in some cherry chips just for a little wood flavor. I always do pizza's on the egg between 500 and 600 degrees

Attachments

• IMG_1105.jpg
    IMG_1105.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 17
Back