Pitmaster T - Boshizzle Bacon Soder Experiement

Pitmaster T

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Well Yesterday I dressed about $200 worth of skirt steak for a fajita video I have been wanting to do for three years. I do fajitas but rarely make the prep video.

This time I did it... I was supposed to cook the peppers and onions today along with the chicken and beef skirt but ..... gulp... the rf went down at the church and when I came in we had 3 hours till go time and $225 worth of chix and skirt that were 65 degrees for Lord know how long.

We quickly made 30 pounds of taco meat instead. With fresh chuck of course.

BUT I did get to film an experiement dealing with Baking Soda that Boshizzle asked me to do for him.

It will be coming tonight before I go to bed.

Last edited:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN7ydPMDvH0"]Boshizzles Baking Soda Experiement Request - YouTube[/ame]

Wow, Donnie, awesome job! And, I love that griddle you are cooking on.

Thanks for the experiment. Very interesting!

Sorry you lost all that meat, though.

Last edited:
Cool Video I have the same grill from Sam's and Yes the screws are all loose on it too. I've often thought of using red loc tite on them, But I havent done it yet.

Hmmmm........hate to hear about the meat spoiling, but I think I'm gonna do some experimenting myself now.

Did you put baking soda on the bell peppers too?

Yes, I did. You know, I have watched chinese restaurants cook up a mess of stuff and there was one place that I would tell them no msg.. I remember them using some dish full of a very fine powdery substance and they would just literally put a smidgen in... I asked on time, thinking it was MSG. I recall now they said it was "soda." The amount of juice that came out of those onions (as you can see nearly right away) was amazing.... and the result of the liquid, kinda pasty result, is reminescent of the gravy you find in chinese cooking.

Funny, its all coming back to me... when I tried to do, say, chicken and peppers in curry sauce, corn starch did not produce the same results as this soda.

I wish I had some of that meat... I would have sliced off two peices, done one with BS and the other with none and cooked them on the flat griddle and see the results.

Another thing came to me... remember when I said I doubted anything regarding the Malliard reaction was happening becaused the ph if BS is rather neutral on the scale... on the basic side? Well what I did not consider was, what is the PH of Meat? Then of Meat cooking?
In other words, if heat gets the meat to releasing some of its protiens... what is the ph of that result? And does the BS amply that when heat is applied? If the role of BS is truely due to the shift of a ph balance.... instead of some other factor none of us realize (as both myself and Vinny thought) then someone need to get the ph info on meat and meat changes in ph as it cooks without BS (for a baseline) and a treated meat sample. Of course, to some, it may not matter.

I will say one thing.. I wish I had used less BS.... I think I used too much, the onions broke down and of course, if any of you have seen or heard me talk about my onion prep for onion soup, that I do not touch the onions or stir them until they collapse and simply cook into their ultimate browned form, became too soupy. They made a gravy quicker though but lacked the depth of flavor from natural reduction.

I am saying this because, well, I have seen some barks on this forum that are puffy, like someone used oatmeal, and looked great until slicing time then they sort of sloughed off to reveal the meat underneath. Since BS sort of made this residue on the onions quickly, I am concerned it would do the same in a bark. One of the reasons my process produces a great bark (for those that do not violate the rule of not foiling because they violate the rule of house temp and cook higher) is because my rub is clean. By this I mean that when my briskets go on, they have a thin coating of Lawreys, then a bit thicker of the Glitter (which has a very low 2 to 20 something ratio of sugar to whatever else) buit what is left on the brisket is what I call a "clean rub." Remember when I sued to use Montreal in the Atomic Dawg Sprinkle? Well I gave that up too for George Clinton, Larry Graham and the Chubby Checker/Larry Grahm combo. Montreal had those chunks fo good stuff but I found those chunks soaked up too much liquid and never quite returned back to their dehydrated form and got in the way of a good bark. Foiling or panning throws all this out of whack. And typically, people foil because they are protecting the meat from something... and typically, everytime I see foiling in High heat... its because someone is doing the majority of the cook above 270. So my process is optimized at 270 and no foil with the proper rub application for a reason. Thus does not produce a spongy, wipe off bark.... or, a bark made up of a spongy bark that has harden to break off on chunks of rub crust.

I seem to see both of these a lot. And I would bet a bitchin beef rub is either adapted to my side of things or ground up a bit finer so the granuals can soak up the juice then return to dehydrated state for the bark.

The Chubby Checker in my rub acts a bit like salt but probably has a more aggressive affect on the malliard reaction due to its Ph. The Goerge Clinton, I have observed, sort of disappears into the meat over time. Fine George Clinton tends to wash off. Coarse George bonds to the brisket (if you don't screw with it or mop it) and is like a time capsule release. I know this because I have literally watched the crystals get smaller until they are gone and only the Larry Graham is left... which becomes so bonded the crust is like 40 grit sand paper. I also notice this is thrown way off base when the briskets are too close to one another, possubly due to too much moisture in proximity to each chunk of meat - mutually exclusive of course.

Interesting enough if I ever make my glitter again I may reduce the sugar and add BS then comparing the results to a brisket done like I usually do and one where I rubbed it on the meat, followed by the rest of the applications.

I would venture to say I expect (may be wrong) the BS added to the glitter will create the puffiness out of my rub I do not want. The tri level process is a tri level process because simply mixing all elements together then rubbing on the meat did not get the same results.

Interesting info found here regarding normal ph of beef

http://meat.tamu.edu/faqs.html

Q What is "dark cutting beef?"
A It is where beef is dark red to purple in color.
To understand "dark cutting beef," it is necessary to understand how the bright red color of beef occurs. At death, the muscle attempts to maintain all normal activities. To do so, it must have energy in the form of ATP. To get ATP, it breaks down glycogen through postmortem glycolysis. A by-product of postmortem glycolysis is lactic acid. Lactic acid builds up in the muscle over a 16 to 24 hour period post-slaughter.

A normal level of lactic acid (pH of 5.6) in the muscle will cause the meat to be bright cherry-red in color when it is exposed to oxygen for a short time period.

In "dark cutting beef," the animal undergoes long-stress before slaughter. This stress may be from transportation, rough handling, changing weather conditions such as cold fronts, or anything that causes the animal to draw on its glycogen reserves before slaughter. At death, there is limited amount of glycogen available to be converted to lactic acid, the muscle pH will be higher-than-normal (pH of 6.0 or higher), and the color of meat will be darker-than-normal.
"Dark cutting beef" occurs in 1 to 2% of beef carcasses. The percentage will be higher in the fall and winter months, and will be most evident two to three days after a sudden change in ambient temperature, especially if rain and wind accompany the temperature drop. There are different gradients of "dark cutting beef" ranging from slightly dark to very dark purple depending on how much glycogen is depleted in the living animal.
"Dark cutting beef" is used in the foodservice industry rather than the retail industry because of its color. There is no real palatability problem with "dark cutting beef," and this is why it is used in the foodservice industry where the raw product is cooked before the consumer sees it.

Okay so now we have some perspective....

Remember when I said (and a guy had to point out my typo) that since the ph scale is logarithmic is tends to be tricky?

If meat is 5.6 (acidic).... and baking soda is a 9 (on the basic side) then thats a three point move IN THE ALKALINE DIRECTION!!!!!! Lemons are going to be a nearly 4 point move in the ACID DIRECTION.

Not saying the results of BS will not help the malliard reaction, but the reason may have little to do with acidity.

So, in essence, what you are saying is that the trick with BS from BS is no BS?
:biggrin1:

At least on onions... we just don't know why. This phenomena needs to be isolated and studied on beef, heck even two burgers on a flat grill would be worth doing.

You know what this means right??? You now have to come up with a musically inspired name for Baking Soda. :cool:

Back