Beginner needs help

tomrip

Reaction score
Hello all. I have been smoking pork butts whenever i have friends over, and i always get the suggestion of catering. So i finally decided to do it. I got my first call. It is for a wedding. There will be 100 people there. They want 3 sides and a desert, as well as drinks. I have never catered, and i have no idea how to bill. Could you guys recommend what you would do charge wise. Oh, no tables or chairs needed, as well as they don't want servers. more like a drop off a hot buffet. How much coleslaw and baked beans would i need for 100 people. I am gonna build some uds, would two be enough for the wedding? i have 3 months to work this all out. Any help you guys have will be greatly appreciated.

Have you done any reading on the forums before you started?

Can you cook food to sell to the public on a UDS where you live?

Last edited:
Sounds like a great way to get into the catering business. First, if you are going to do this, be legal. The few dollars you are going to make on this is not worth getting sued if someone gets sick and they blame you. Since it is a wedding, I would make sure you know what you are responsible for, ie., setting up a buffet line, serving from the buffet, clean up, emptying the trash. Also, weddings are typically late, be prepared to keep the food hot.

As for the quantity of food for 100 people:

62 pounds of raw pork(8 each 8 pound butts)
4 each #10 can of beans
10 pounds of fresh bagged coleslaw
3rd side??
dessert??
drinks??

You probably would be able to cook 8 butts on 2 UDS. As for as what to charge, I recommend taking your food costs x 3. Add in additional labor, and rentals. Hope this helps.

I agree with being legal first, and smokin joes numbers are spot on. For a third side you could use a relish tray, desserts could vary your price across the board.

Also, after gettiing legal, get some catering contracts that spell out everything from electric to table covers. Make sure you spell out what you provide, and exclude anything else.

If you have any other questions shoot me a PM im a bit south west of you. Everyones numbers look good, third side could be about 12lbs potato salad. should cost much more or maybe less than relish tray, pre made trays are expensive.

Try and do some catered parties before the wedding. Or help another caterer with gig/s before taking this on. You minimally will need insurance to get out of the gates.

As far Smokin Joes numbers go I believe he is right on track. I cooked this weekend for a church. We fed about 100 people, and I cooked 14 butts. There was at least 6 butts remaining. So the estimate of 8 butts is perfect. They did not go to waste. lol They provided the sides so I can't speak to that. Good luck!

Back