Need recipe software help

Countryhb

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Help! I've tried to use the search, but I keep getting every topic that has recipe in the title. I'm interested in purchasing recipe software and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions/comments on the software they use.
I want to be able to store my various recipes in one place, print, and easily adjust the recipe for different quantities. Thanks in advance!!

If you're running a windows based computer I can't help but for anyone on a Mac I found a great one yesterday. It's called SousChef it's share ware you can download for free and/or purchase for $30. The difference between the free and the pay to play is the number of recipes you can add (up to 50 for free). It is capable of speech recognition and also reads the recipe to you as you make it - a virtual assistant if you will.

Here's a screenshot of the interface...
SousChef.jpg

The feature I like the most about Now Your Cooking is that once you buy the software they never, ever charge you again for anything. You automatically get every update (major and minor) for free.

Larry, when upscaling a recipe, is there a way to convert the measurements? I just upscaled my sauce recipe and it's giving me 16 tablespoons instead of 1 cup.

Larry, when upscaling a recipe, is there a way to convert the measurements? I just upscaled my sauce recipe and it's giving me 16 tablespoons instead of 1 cup.

I don't know. Let me play with it a little this afternoon while watching the Chargers destroy the Jets.

yea i own living cookbook also bought it before i started school then they had us do mastercook

I'm a huge fan of BigOven, the one rated #1 in Papa Payne's top 10 list. I've used it for years and love it.

I'm a huge fan of BigOven, the one rated #1 in Papa Payne's top 10 list. I've used it for years and love it.

Do you keep BigOven up to date with the latest versions? If so, is there a charge to update each time?

Thanks,

Papa

Well Larry, were you able to play and figure it out? Scaled up and trying to measure out 7 28/35 tablespoon was really dumb!

Well Larry, were you able to play and figure it out? Scaled up and trying to measure out 7 28/35 tablespoon was really dumb!

I couldn't get it to change the portions. I'm going to write the company and see if I'm missing something.

EDIT: I downloaded Big Oven this morning and loaded it. I have not had time to play with it very much, but it appears to do the same thing when resizing recipes.

Last edited:
Big thanks again to Swibirun! Big Oven has been a great tool and exactly what I was looking for. If anyone is looking for recipe software, Big Oven is solid!!

Back