Looking for a Team or help starting my own\

JRogers

Reaction score
My name is John Rogers. I live in Dumas,Ar and have been cooking for as long as I can remember. I started with my dad when I was a kiddo and have been going at it every since. I have been thinking about getting into the competition cooking side for several years now but just haven't ever done it. I have finally made up my mind that I am going to do it this fall and soon as my flying season is over. I am looking for someone that needs a team member or some advice on starting a team of my own. I am currently having the custom cooker built that I have always wanted and plan to use it this fall in some competitions. Any help or suggestions would be greatlly appreciated.

One of the things I've seen consistently from first and second timers is that they're uncertain as to the mark to be hit (ala. not understanding what the desire result is).
That, and party too hard Friday night... If at all possible, see if you can judge a
contest. See first-hand what's presented and why some are scored high and others low. That will go a long way in your journey. Oh, BTW, WELCOME.

Finding a team can be tough. Honestly, I've just now added my 3rd person, and the 2nd was my wife. My friend has been a friend for 30 years and we both enjoy cooking. That, for me, made a great team member. Plus, he has the desire, and he'll show up. The worst thing would be having to depend on someone and them not deliver for you. I dont know any magic here...

Thanks, I am looking forward to going to small event first and hopefully working on up to the big shows a little later. I love to Q and meet new Q'ers and learn from others experiences.

I got lucky and started off judging. Frankly, I was surprised. I *thought* I could cook pretty darned well. Seeing what came across, both good and bad, taught quite a bit (picture worth a 1000 words; then see, smell, and taste it must be worth a gazillion).
Then, when I went to certification school, what I saw there were a lot of teams attending that had no intention of judging, just wanted to know what they were being judged on and apparently have had too many outings where they felt they did good and scored poorly. Frankly, if they'd have judged once or twice, I think they might've save the school effort. There should be a few local cookoffs in your area that'll groom an uncertified judge.

Then, by all means, jump in to a few small cookoffs to get your feet wet. You'll learn a ton from that as well. When you can, watch other competitors, and talk. Most are very helpful. What you'll find is that what works for one team doesn't necessarily work for another.

I will say, make the BBQ that you enjoy eating! Do not try to guess what judges want. HOWEVER, if you like BBQ that tastes either a) like a salt lick, or b) like you're
eating sugar out of the bag, or c) is so hot that it makes habanero pepper blush, you
might want to have a few friends honestly judge your Q and give feedback...

Oh, warning, judges should be stone-cold-sober when they judge. They have not
been drinking beer, yet. Q a little towards the salty side fares better when people have been drinking. Hint: when developing your competition rub(s) and sauce(s),
taste them stone cold sober; when drinking WATER.

JRogers: If you are interested in Memphis In May style events we can always use additional members. It is so expensive you have to split the cost among alot of members or find sponcers with deep pockets just to enter.
Thanks
Mike
Swinebuck

Swinebuck, funny, that's exactly why I'm talking to a few MIM/MBA cookoff organizers about switching to KCBS, FBA, or the new GBA (here the Gawga).
I'm a MIM/MBA judge, and LOVE them, but D A M N it takes a BIG team, and
BIG BIG BIG bucks. Whereas damn good cooks on a 2 person team can not only
compete in KCBS but win.

Back