Pit Barrel Cooker chicken

Dudes, it was a joke! It's powder-coated steel, so of course it's subject to cooling in cold
weather. Wow!

John

Not saying it won't cool in cooler climates. I was saying that there are ceramic coatings out there that will provide a great thermal barrier to cooler temps and could likely operate with the same settings in almost any climate, with very minor adjustments. I thought that such application was used on this product from what you posted. Maybe some clairty so noobies reading this won't get confused would help? I think that more than a few thought you were being serious.

It'll run at about 275-290* at the rods regardless of where you are if you leave the intake at the preset.

John

This quote implies that it will run the same temp no matter what, all year around depending on area code as per elevation scale, not based on ambient air temp. I believe you even referenced the elevation being connected to the area code a few posts before this one.

I believe the confusion lies in the fact that there are 70* degree temp swings in the northern states between summer and winter in the same area code? Hence, the question, how exactly does it maintain the same temp in a certain area code all year long using the preset theory?

Not saying it won't cool in cooler climates. I was saying that there are ceramic coatings out there that will provide a great thermal barrier to cooler temps and could likely operate with the same settings in almost any climate, with very minor adjustments. I thought that such application was used on this product from what you posted. Maybe some clairty so noobies reading this won't get confused would help? I think that more than a few thought you were being serious.

Sorry, I assumed that my use of the term "voodoo" in context, and the fact that the
cooker isn't built by NASA, would make my attempt at humor obvious.

John

Sorry, I assumed that my use of the term "voodoo" in context, and the fact that the
cooker isn't built by NASA, would make my attempt at humor obvious.

John

Ok...I thought that you were just playing along with the word play of the post you were refrencing to bring humor to the powder coating properties. I understood that you were being funny, but I thought that the general content of what you were saying was true based on the thermal retention properties of certain coatings. A thread from a few months ago about a ceramic coated UDS comes to mind in regards to what some coatings can do in this application.

This quote implies that it will run the same temp no matter what, all year around depending on area code as per elevation scale, not based on ambient air temp. I believe you even referenced the elevation being connected to the area code a few posts before this one.

I believe the confusion lies in the fact that there are 70* degree temp swings in the northern states between summer and winter in the same area code? Hence, the question, how exactly does it maintain the same temp in a certain area code all year long using the preset theory?

OK, first I said zip code, not area code. Next, it's a steel cooker that doesn't involve any
magic. The preset intake means that it will burn consistently within normal parameters.
If those parameters (primarily ambient temp, wind, and humidity) change the burn
characteristics also change, which affects cooking time, so you have to adjust as needed.

That's as clear as I know how to make it.

John

OK, first I said zip code, not area code. Next, it's a steel cooker that doesn't involve any
magic. The preset intake means that it will burn consistently within normal parameters.
If those parameters (primarily ambient temp, wind, and humidity) change the burn
characteristics also change, which affects cooking time, so you have to adjust as needed.

That's as clear as I know how to make it.

John

Much clearer...thank you.

I gotta listen to that podcast. I'm dying to know why if you hang ribs vertically that the end closest to the fire wouldn't be more cooked than at the top.

Sorry to have caused the grief, but i apprciate your answers. Still tempted.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

Back