Your WORST Box Ever! (What Not to Turn in!)

Did you consider adding some meat to your sauce?

grchickbox.jpg
Mmmmm...chicken Mole!

Great fun!
Unlike Scottie, whos NEVER had a bad box, I can't say that for the Bellys! :twisted:

Only because I don't have any pictures. No pictures...Never happened...:roll: That's what I keep telling myself at least...

But, you are more than welcome to post on the best boxes there Scottie....we promise to not share......:icon_shy

First brisket box, IBCA contest in Darbonne, La last year. Had to cut off the side cause I used a colored toothpick and turned the meat blue:biggrin:, and it was just a trainwreck of a brisket anyway:redface: Should have been DQ'd.

I don't understand why you would be thooth picking brisket? Am I missing something??

First brisket box, IBCA contest in Darbonne, La last year. Had to cut off the side cause I used a colored toothpick and turned the meat blue:biggrin:, and it was just a trainwreck of a brisket anyway:redface: Should have been DQ'd.

I don't understand why you would be thooth picking brisket? Am I missing something??

cause I was a dumbass who listened to everything everyone said:rolleyes:

Someone on some forum said to stick a toothpick in in line with the grain on your brisket to know where to slice. Worked OK other than the fact that the toothpick was blue and stained the meat. I never really had a problem knowing where to slice but I tried something different at a time I shouldn't have been experimenting.

You should see where I live Mista. It ain't LA

:lol: Never been to Lee's house but I'm very familiar with the area - It's only an hour from me... let's just say you big city boys would chit a brick. And they say that Alaska is the last wilderness in the U.S. :wink:

Someone suggested a thread where we post our worst turn-in box ever so I'll get it started. This was my very first turn-in at the American Royal in 2005. Seems I pretty much ignored all the stuff I learned here leading up to that contest. :roll: This is utterly HORRIBLE! I've progressed a small bit since then. :shock:

chicken_turn_in.jpg
alittle over done

Great thread! OK here we go, first comp...
P1020205.jpg

Ohhh yeahhh :shock:
i dont think you could bite through those

I can so dominate this thread. Here are pics from my first competition, where I obviously had no clue. I think everything tasted as bad as it looked.
ChickenTurnIn.jpg

PorkTurnIn.jpg

Looking at what we do now, which still needs work, makes me wonder how drunk I really was that day.
looks a little dry

Only one?

OK Joes 2007, our first comp - Looks like we tried our hardest to hide it.
normal_brisket_turn_in2.JPG

2007 Ankeny Ducks Unlimited - 4 slices ... slices of something
normal_ankpork2small.JPG

2007 American Royal - 411th place!
normal_Royal_porksm.JPG
those did need work

This is a brisket practice box I did in January, 2005,,(after my first 2 contests in the fall of 2004),,,,,,

I remember at the time I thought I had done quite well,,,,,,:shock:
i give it a 5 - being kind

As I recall, this was so overcooked I was happy just to get 6 pieces in the box! And this was not that long ago.

IMG_1063.jpg

I think it is hillarious what some of you think bad is...It is better than the stuff I turn in now!
i am sure you have done better

From my first comp. The chix box below was my first 13th place chicken
those chix are dead

I would of thought that brisket box was a pork box...

Thank goodness I use a FE-100. It turns out perfect food every single time... I've never had a bad box... :roll:
sounds like you are saying its the cooker not the cook - lol

HMMMMM, maybe if I shine it up they won't notice how over cooked it is.....:rolleyes:
how did they taste?

Here's NOT a first, but a definite no no:

Brisket2.jpg

It's farking untrimmed AND upside down!:shock:
i bet it taste good fat and all

Hands down, the worst ever. Ashamed to post it mod:
Hell, it looks a little like pot roast.....but it's pork.:icon_blush:
how did it score

These were my first boxes during a practice run at home under contest timing the week prior to my first contest a few years back. Pics were actually taken approx 15 minutes after each turn in time so we could see what it looked like after it sat a while.

Boy.. I've learned a lot since then !!
is it brisket?

I'm sure I have worse, but here goes. From North KC 2007.
looks like it would have scored well on taste

Finally, a thread where I can compete with the pictures. This is a hot azz mess of a brisket box, I think it was from Butler 2006. I am pretty sure I was trying to bury the brisket in the lettuce.
could be neater

And of course lets not forget about fishsticks!
fish sticks my all time favorite

First brisket turn in.
brisket.jpg
needs more meat in that box

Ask and you shall receive !!!

Aside from the rack dropping fiasco :icon_pissed, this box was also very lousy in that it was the first time ans only time I cooked thighs in competition.

Even worse when you rely on the 13th place chicken king to do your trimming. We ended up torching the few remaining ones that would not get anyone sick on a Kettle to make up for lost time. Skin shriveled up quickly.

This is a really chitty box... but the good news was that four other boxes placed worse than this one (68th of 72) :biggrin:

and those were the best you had to pick from to make your box?

nuff said .... yuk..

but it was our first contest and it took 5th. The parsley in the middle covered a huge hole in the brisket.
looks like something i would like to eat - bet it taste good

I love this, cause I can make some ugly boxes:icon_blush:

IMG_0096.jpg

and here's an ugly pork box from Memphis this year. Looked good to me at the time:rolleyes:

IMG_0778.jpg
why the foil in the box?

Here is a pic of my rib box at my first comp last year (IBCA)

DSC01456.jpg
ribs look dry

Thankfully, we didn't take pics of our entries for the first 4 years else these wouldn't qualify as our worst. :shock:
what did you put on your brisket that turned it red like that?

Thankfully, we didn't take pics of our entries for the first 4 years else these wouldn't qualify as our worst. :shock:
what part of the chicken was that and how did you get the pork red like that

I only wish I could add several of the boxes I saw as a judge last weekend... some horrendous boxes in ribs and brisket especially!

ribbox.jpg

For this one, we actually got all 9's in appearance, and Ribberfest in 2005... Those judges were blind!
chixbox.jpg

chickenturnin.jpg

grchickbox.jpg

grribbox.jpg

There's more, but I must stop!
did you cover that chicken in chocolate

Last edited by a moderator:
have i hit 50 posts yet

Just, so you know. You CAN post in another thread, jeezus, I thought Sled can be a post whore, but you have the last page of posts.

Sled, just kiddin, I love the fact that I can check a thread 4 times a day and see 4 new avatars. It keeps it fresh.

Just, so you know. You CAN post in another thread, jeezus, I thought Sled can be a post whore, but you have the last page of posts.

Sled, just kiddin, I love the fact that I can check a thread 4 times a day and see 4 new avatars. It keeps it fresh.
Hey!! I resemble that remark:redface:

Holy hell, the title is your WORST box!! WTFark do you expect to see? Hammerin' a little hard on people you hardly know yet, don't you think? Sheesh!

These are my first boxes from Sept. 07 Evergreen State Championship BBQ, Seattle WA.

100_2020.jpg

100_2019.jpg

100_2018.jpg

pork box turned pic turned out blurry, so it has to qualify as my worst. The brisket was drier than a fish fart rolled in sand. I didn't finish last or make the second page of the results, 28th of 36 teams.

Now here's how to come in last out of 63 teams!
We were still learning.....hell, we thought this looked good.....then.......:shock:
My, we've come a long ways!

Attachments

• Belly_Brothers_Do_Charleston_4_15_16_2005_012.jpg
    Belly_Brothers_Do_Charleston_4_15_16_2005_012.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 2,280
  • BoCoFair 07262008 004.jpg
    BoCoFair 07262008 004.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 2,279
Kick, that top one reminds me of an overhead shot (layout) of a golf course. :eek: Lots of doglegs and looks like it's hell to get out of that USGA Open kind of rough. :-D

Kick, that top one reminds me of an overhead shot (layout) of a golf course. :eek: Lots of doglegs and looks like it's hell to get out of that USGA Open kind of rough. :-D

You know, you're right!:biggrin: I wonder if Nicklaus would be interested in the design for one of his new courses....:cool:

Back