• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Sponsorship Help

G

GratefulSmoker

I do realized that if a team has sponsors, they are very lucky. Sponsoring a BBQ team probaly doesn't go as far as some other forms of advertising. But, we are still interested in trying to find a couple small sponsorships. Here is a question for the teams that have sponsors and the teams that have tried to find sponsors......How did you actually go about it? Did you write a form letter out? If so, what did you put in the letter? I would appreciate any advice anyone has.

I do realized that if a team has sponsors, they are very lucky. Sponsoring a BBQ team probaly doesn't go as far as some other forms of advertising. But, we are still interested in trying to find a couple small sponsorships. Here is a question for the teams that have sponsors and the teams that have tried to find sponsors......How did you actually go about it? Did you write a form letter out? If so, what did you put in the letter? I would appreciate any advice anyone has.

I know this company in Tulsa, they make very high end stair parts, I bet they would sponsor you, let me know if you need an intro...

Those people are jerks over there at that place, I wouldn't buy a thing off of them.... Actually I was really looking for a lumber yard to sponsor me...there is a smaller lumber yard in the area that I had wanted to talk to.....do you know who I'm thinking of??? :biggrin:

Guys--

Josh and I are joking with each other, we're talking about our dad's companies...

Please do give him some help with this if you can...

Thanks-Jeff

OK - I have been trying to work on some national names at Locally owned chains. Shop Rite is the supermarker around here that we are trying to get a sponsor from. Find a large chain in your area that maybe owned by a local resident. Good Luck, I will let you know how we make out. Thanks

Sponsoring a BBQ team probaly doesn't go as far as some other forms of advertising.

Well first off, I'd get this line out of your thoughts and don't use it around potential sponsors! :lol: It's not necessarily true. It depends on you. If you're only gonna compete 3 or 4 times a year in small contests where there isn't much for the public to do, you're probably right. But if you do 7 or 8 and up and pick some big contests along with smaller ones where there's a bigger attraction for the public to come out, you're obviously making it more worth your sponsor's while.

My thing is I don't ever just write a letter and leave it at that. I contact the potential sponsor in person or if I know the person, I'll call instead sometimes (except for the Schick Razor Company letter...) Then offer to send printed info or email it. I''m thinking of putting together a brochure or flyer this year because we're really gona be short cash and a sponsor is going to be critical.

Main thing is you have to show value for their dollar. Some may just like BBQ and think it's a cool idea and jump. Others more likely will need to be shown how sponsoring you will benefit them, especially in this tight economic time.

It's probably going to be necessary to explain the world of professional competition BBQ to them. The might not have heard much about it. Around Kansas City, most potential sponsor businesses will have heard of the American Royal BBQ but don't usually know there's other contests practically every weekend until you show them. Note: Here's one place I think a very nice, upgraded and professional KCBS Web site is helpful!

Good luck!

Sponsors today, more than ever, want to see a return on their investment. Money is VERY tight out there.
Here's what I do to get some Sponsorship for my BBQ Classes. Works for me and may also work for Competition Sponsorships!!

Generate some immediate traffic to the business. That's what they want and need!!

Find a Meat Market (maybe one you do business with) and set up outside and give free samples of your Q to the general public. Hand out business cards and/or flyers.

Angus Meats buys my meat and everything I need except my wood.
I FILL their parking lot every day I am there.
I also fill all of my BBQ Classes.
Since I do not cater, I only focus on BBQ Classes.

Angus Meats have been there for 50 years and they claim is it the best marketing they have ever done, also. I have gotten them a LOT of new customers!!!!!
They wish I could be there every day. They are on a VERY busy highway in MN.
Lots of fun, costs almost nothing for them or me.

I also put up a Business Card Display in their store.
I hand their cards at Classes.

I will also be doing the same at an Ace Hardware store in Maple Grove , MN this summer and the same at Poolside in Little Canada, MN that sells the BGE, gas grills and all kinds of BBQ stuff.

I will probably have to buy the meat at those 2 places, but free sample meat is CHEAP!!!
I also list them as BBQ Sponsors on my web site at:
www.kickassbbq.com They Love It!!!!!!

Hope this gives you some ideas.
That's how I roll.
http://www.kickassbbq.com/freebbq.JPG
http://www.kickassbbq.com/angusad.JPG

Approach sponsorship from the angle of what you have to offer your sponsor, nothing else. That mindset will go further to get you a sponsor than anything else. And research your potential sponsors thoroughly before you approach them. Find out about their competition and do your best to figure out what they need.

This isn't the best economy for pursuing sponsorship. Businesses are clutching their dollars like never before. Educate them on barbecue contests from the festival and traffic approach way more than the competition aspect. It doesn't hurt if you can win, but it's not a necessity. Show them how you will promote their business and be realistic with the compensation you expect to receive.

Good luck!

Rod

Wow, you guys have given us a plethra of information here...Our Family business foots most of the bills for the team, but it would be nice to just find a little help here and there. Thanks for everyones advice!

There is a lot of great advice here. We've been successful in gathering sponsorships doing a many of the things mentioned here.
Initially we started just asking some people/friends/businesses we knew to help sponsor us. They were kind and generous.
Since then we have used more of a 'blank sheet of paper' approach...what do they want to get out of it and how much are they willing to pay for it. It's amazing...some want only samples, some want us to cook at a company or personal event. Its all over the board but it empowers them and makes them feel a part of their marketing dollar decisions. A lot of times they are willing to pay more than we might think. And, it it always my perogative to say no if I choose.
I always do a little write-up on the contests we plan on attending...how far away it is, how many people I estimate will be there (or were there the year before) along with out team brochure. Helps to show them the potential exposure they will get.
One thing that is extremely popular for us is that we do a year end sponsor party. It's a great time. We get to show off a little and they get to feel like they are part of the team.

Back