Money Muscle Question

HolySmoke77

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Im doing my first competition soon and want to present ta few slices of the MM in my box. Any good tips for cooking it to be able to present nice uniform slices? Im thinking about just cooking 2 separate butts only for the MM and pulling the MM off once it hits 175? How about cutting it off prior to cooking and cooking it separately? Any ideas?

Thanks!

If it's KCBS, you can't separate before it hits 145 for 3 minutes. After that you can do what you want. Most people take theirs to an IT of 185ish for slicing.

The comp Im entering is a small local thing in my town. First time ever for a small city, prob about 10-12 teams is all. Not sanctioned by anyone so I can pretty do what I want.

I like to cook it on. I trim it out before cooking so its shaped nice. I have found that cooking two separate butts keeps the MM warmer if you need to take it off the cooker and hold in for a few hours in a cambro/cooler. Typically I will pull MM at around 180-185. After you cut the MM off for presentation, you can thrown the butt back on the smoker in some foil if you want to tenderize the rest of the meat for eating/serving later.

Just make sure to use temp only as a guideline prop for tenderness, there not always tender at the same temp learnt that the hard way.

Back