First UDS build

Dad pit

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hey Guys! Im a noobie with this uds build but not to smokin and need some info for my first and prob not last build.
1) what is the min suggested distance the grate from fire.
2) My coal basket size im thinkin of is 16"dia X 12"h and 3" off the ash/pizza pan. 3) Your thoughts on Royal Oak vs Kingsford
Thanks in advance! I am quite confident i will get alot of suggestions from you guys as I have been reading alot from this forum of brothers!!:-D

UDSShelfLayout021-1.jpg

Measure from the BOTTOM of the coal basket up to a minimum of 27 inches to the first grate. Then go from there for any additional grates. Bluedawg shows a line about 18 inches for a diffuser grate. I have a grate at this location that I have a terra cotta plate with sand in it for a diffuser that I cover with foil to catch any drippings with. I have also used it to cook steaks and burgers on. All measurements are approximate and are not set in concrete. Close is close enough. Good luck with your build.

Blessings,
Omar

Anywhere in the 20" range from bottom of the basket to the cooking grate is fine. My cooking grate is 8 1/2 inches from the top and i'll add a second about 1 1/2" from the top.

Most of the time 1 grate is good though.

I have used both types in my drums. I like ro better just because of the ash amount. If i use one of the temp controllers it will blow kingsford ash on the food. Manual control of course no ash issue. I have had some varied burn times with ro but nothin that ruined a cook.Lump density may have been the issue.

Something else to consider is building your basket with provisions to raise it up for direct grilling and searing. Then you got a multi trick pony, which is great for reverse searing, smoking and grilling.

Something else to consider is building your basket with provisions to raise it up for direct grilling and searing. Then you got a multi trick pony, which is great for reverse searing, smoking and grilling.
That's what cfarmer did...he ordered the BP basket and hardware then made his own. That's a great way to go for people who don't do the whole kit.

Thanks J Rod, I was gonna make some hooks from 1/8" stainless rod i can get my hands on for that very purpose! Also. Im gonna use stainless hog rings to attach the exp metal to basket bottom

I bought the Big Poppa basket and it came with the hardware to make it smoke and sear.

Well worth the money for a basket that is built very well.

Back