Frontier "Premier" Charcoal Briquettes??

trohrs123

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Bought about 20 bags of this stuff at ACE hardware on sale. At the first comp this year in Salisbury MD, the team next to us commented that it smelled like there was a burning plastic bag in our smoker. We thought he had one too many from his "this is not beer" cup:wink:. Doing a practice cook at home, my wife comments that the smoker smells like some burning oil or petroleum product like a plastic bag. She was NOT at the comp in MD to hear the comment made by the other team.

Q: anyone have any similar stories or experieince with this brand... I am greatly dissapointed with the product. Also sent the company an email with the story... no reply after 5 weeks...

Bought about 20 bags of this stuff at ACE hardware on sale. At the first comp this year in Salisbury MD, the team next to us commented that it smelled like there was a burning plastic bag in our smoker. We thought he had one too many from his "this is not beer" cup:wink:. Doing a practice cook at home, my wife comments that the smoker smells like some burning oil or petroleum product like a plastic bag. She was NOT at the comp in MD to hear the comment made by the other team.

Q: anyone have any similar stories or experieince with this brand... I am greatly dissapointed with the product. Also sent the company an email with the story... no reply after 5 weeks...
I've never heard of this brand, it may be more local, but for two people to make the same comment would scare the chit out of me.

Have you used it before or is this the first time?

I always buy a couple bags of something before jumping on a big pile.

If it smells like something other than wood...still got the receipt?

First time using it..in fact first time ever seeing it in stores... no dont have receipt...who would think to keep receipt for charcoal...it usually is fine...i'm just suprised by no response from company about my complaint...

I always see it for sale at gas stations in my home town but I never see anyone buy it. In my opinion it looks cheap and not worth it maybe you can return it. But hey try it out and see that's the only way to find out.

i just used it to cook some ribs this weekend, and my friend and i both noticed the smells of something different in the air, thats it, no more frontier brand from ace!!

yeah...its hard to put a finger on but it is some odd almost chemical smell like a burning or melting plastic bag...sorry to say, but i have at least 10 bags left...maybe i will be a good neighbor and give them away:icon_devil

i say bring it to your next comp, and be the charcoal angel!! wait, dont do that, bad karma!! One thing i did notice, when we lit the chimney it took forever for the coals to ash over, probably like 30 minutes, thats when we really noticed the smell, once we got the cooker hot, we only noticed the smell when we added fresh coals.

I also noticed that in the chimney it threw off a LOT of white smoke more than K or lump...it was during this time that it was at its stinkiest!!:eek:

I would still try taking it back to the store... how many guys (except for those of us here) would buy 20 bags at a shot?

The store may be more interested in keeping you as a customer and try to pass it on to someone else... They may get a better response from Ace Corporate too...

Back