Heavy Rubber Meat Handling cooking gloves?

B

bbqanthony

At Costco I watched the cook taking dozens on rotisserie chickens out of the cooker and put them on display for sale. He wore heavy rubber gloves that allowed him to handle the hot chickens by hand. They were black and relatively stiff, holding their shape even when the hands were out. Heavy rubber and smooth glossy surface that allowed them to be easily wiped clean.

I've done some searches but can't find anything like this. Does anyone know what these types of gloves are?

Thanks.

Based on your description... see link below. (Look at the Ad header "Neoprene Coated Insulated Gloves" and then look at the Ansell Neox Hi-Low model within the ad)

I work for the company in the link I provided and bought a few pairs a while back. These specific models are great for handling hot meats or grates but not flexible enough to pick a pork butt apart as the rubber is stiff and the fingerholes are large. Other gloves exist with neoprene coating that are more snug around the fingers that will provide dexterity in the fingers if your looking for that purpose.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDF...442771&PMT4TP=*ITPD&PMITEM=89308027&PMCTLG=00

Last edited:
Thanks MilitantSquatter. The Thermaprene's are the ones. Says they are FDA approved for food handling. I've been wanting a pair for handling hot foods in the smoker. Much easier than tongs or forks.

Now that I know the name of them, I found this pic on the net showing them being used for rotissiere chickens.

Attachments

• ThermapreneAction05M.JPG
    ThermapreneAction05M.JPG
    5.8 KB · Views: 692
Check out this website. Click on barbecue tools. What you are looking for cost $10.00 and the shipping is free. I have three pair and they ARE what you are looking for. Black Knight is the brand. They have some dexterity and you can pull pork with them and handle hot briskets with them.

http://texasbbqrub.com/

Last edited:
I too use the Black Knight gloves. They work great for handling hot meats, pulling hot pork etc. I ordered mine off the 'net. It was 12 pairs for something like $35.00. Gave away several pair and still have several pair as backups...

James.

The Black Knight gloves are avaailable from several sources on the net. They are my hot food glove af choice. Mostly because they are cheap and I can get them on my hands.
Bear Paw Mod

Now we have gloves galore! Thanks guys, lot's to go with here. I think I'll get some Black Knights to start with.

Anthony

I just ordered a set of the black knights myself. Coulod have used them this past weekend, it was a pain handling 8 racks of ribs in my WSM.

The ones I've had are the Steven Raichlen gloves. They're thicker, which helps, but also makes you lose some dexterity. For most things, they work great.

Great post. I was looking for some gloves after roasting my hands along with some ribs last weekend. I already ordered two sets and can't wait to put them to use.

Insulated Gloves

I bought a pair from Harbor Freight tools, Red with thick insulation.. But the smell yucky. I have scrubbed them with hot soapy water, but they still have the same smell. Is this normal for PVC. Do the Black Knight gloves smell the same way ? Will the smell get into the meat ? Or will it eventually go away with use ?
Thanks

Good info, I'm going to order some of the black knight gloves. What I have been doing is using a pair of the orange PVC gloves over a pair of polyester glove liners for pulling pork. They are available at my local hardware store (not one of the box stores) for a total of about 6 bucks. Yeah, you look like one of those guys on the deadliest catch but it works.

I bought a pair from Harbor Freight tools, Red with thick insulation.. But the smell yucky. I have scrubbed them with hot soapy water, but they still have the same smell. Is this normal for PVC. Do the Black Knight gloves smell the same way ? Will the smell get into the meat ? Or will it eventually go away with use ?
Thanks

No, the Black Knight gloves do not smell. I would be concernd using gloves that smell like PVC with food just in case.

One note on the Black Knight gloves. When washing them, don't get the inside wet. I friend helped clean up after a comp and didn't know any better and submerged the gloves. I didn't know it and when I went to use them the next week the inside was filled with black mold.

I use the brown cotton gloves found at most hardware stores. They are typically $1.00 a pair. I then put a blue Sam's glove over them and they provide the insulation needed when handling hot meats in and on the grill. Just change out the food glove when necessary. The blue gloves go on easy and pull up snug and this combination provides ample movement for pulling pork, slicing brisket or ribs and have an added bonus of the tips being up snug and not out where it can be sliced off and placed on a plate or in a turn in box. I have found that the food gloves goes over them easier than on my damp hands.

I know my local Sam's butchers use food gloves over their cut gloves and this is where I got the idea.

I am very specific about the type of glove as I use the large size. I have found that I need the xlarge if the gloves from RD are used.

If they get ratty over time, just throw them away.

I got the black PVC gloves for $8.99.

They do not smell of PVC or stay wet inside and they are textured.

DSC05311.jpg

PM if interested!

I think the Black Knights are around $3.50. Hardly worth washing them out.

NUTZ

The gloves from TexasBBQrub.com that someone already mentioned are exactly what I was looking for. I LOVE them.
Just my .02

Back