Big chunk of beef. Help

Leeper

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I woke up this morning and just felt like cooking up a big chunck of beef.

One small problem, I have no idea what I really should be doing with it.

I headed out arround 7 to Cash and Carry and bought what looked like the nicest hunk of choice beef I could find, all 24lbs of it. Once I got it home I figured that I should probably only cook half of it to start with, the rest went into the freezer.

I rubbed half of it down with some Skippy P's and tossed the whole thing into the Treager @ 225 arround 8:30.

My goal would be to slice this and serve as sandwhiches, so I ask all of you. How high should I take this temp wise and should it sit in foil for a couple hours before I slice it?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1546.jpg
    IMG_1546.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_1548.jpg
    IMG_1548.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1549.jpg
    IMG_1549.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 145
From the beefoodservice website:

[SIZE=+2]Beef Chuck, Chuck Roll,[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]IMPS/NAMP 116A[/SIZE]
The chuck roll muscles are generally less tender and require long, slow simmering time to tenderize. The results --rich, mouth-watering flavors that your customers will crave.

[SIZE=+2]Ordering and Purchasing Information[/SIZE]
Cuts in the IMPS/NAMP 116 series include specific cutting, trimming and boning specifications. Netting or Tying Specifications are also included.

116ALINE.GIF
The #116A, Beef Chuck Roll is fabricated from the remainder of the #113 with the shoulder clod, chuck tender, the thin muscle under the blade and rib fingers removed. The larger, more tender muscles found in the chuck make up the major portion of the #116A, which is trimmed to produce a reasonably uniform Chuck Roll. This cut can be netted or tied when specified and weighs 13 to 21 pounds.

---------------------------------------------

Good luck with an interesting cut there!

TIM

We had a thread here not too long ago about one of these......I just can't seem to find it....:mad:
I love 'em...treat it like a brisket and cook to the same temps ..It'll be great!!

I just bought one last week I cooked it like I would a brisket and pulled it at 195. Tasted great and the kids thought it was brisket. If your going to slice it I would probably take it off at about 170-175. I think we will be doing more of these, more yield per pound then what you get with a normal full brisket.

One recent Thread was mine ... ( 16*F out .. Beef Shoulder Clod .. Love My Traeger !!!! ) There were some good comments. You were smart to cut it in half. Even so, mine took forever and I never got up to pull temp.

Good luck!

Leeper said:
I woke up this morning and just felt like cooking up a big chunck of beef. Thanks.

where are the pics of the results?

End product

Here are a couple shots of the half way mark and the finished product.

Took it to 190* and let it sit for 45min in foil before sliceing. Overall I was very pleased with the end result; tender, juicy and rich. After snacking on the slices for a bit we mixed them with some Cattelman's and vacum bagged them for later.

Sorry - I did not get a pic of it sliced or sauced.

I would definatly do this again considering the price vs. brisket.

Attachments

• IMG_1553.jpg
    IMG_1553.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1557.jpg
    IMG_1557.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 80
The Leep Meister!!!
I smoked 5 Hams yesterday, BUT, that looks SOOOOOO good, I am going to The Restaurant Depot and pick one of those Bad Boys up!!!!!!
Thanks.
Smoke On!!!!!!!

Back