My first hot and fast experience

GOHOGS

Got Wood.
Reaction score
So I cooked a 15 lb packer and 3 racks of baby backs today for a 1 o'clock family get together. I usually cook at 225-250 on my offset but I realize more and more that lots of the top teams at these comps don't even wake up til 3 o'clock or so Saturday morning. I figured I'd use this cook to shoot for more like 275-300 and not wake up to start the fire til around 2. I ended up at a local stock car race til midnight and slept through my 2 o'clock alarm. At 5 I woke up in slight panic mode and rushed out to start the fire. I built a 325 degree fire and through that bad boy on. It foiled at 8:30 and was probe tender at 12:15. My briskets usually come off between 195-200 but this one was 205 before it was ready. This didn't give me much time for resting and burnt ends but it ended up just as tender and juicy as my low and slow briskets.

As for the ribs, I cooked them for 4.5 hours (2 of that was foiled). They were great but probly too tender for comps so ill take 30 minutes off that time next time. I ended up serving on time and all the guests were happy so it was a successful day!

In my short competition career I've learned that sleep is very important and like I said earlier lots of the big time teams seem to be sleeping more and cooking faster. I think I'll follow suit and run another couple hot and fast test runs and see what happens in a few weeks!

I find sleep is important all the time anymore. Sounds like a good practice cook none the less

Sounds like it turned out well. Ribs probably were foiled for too long/cooked at too hot of a temp. If I foil my ribs, I make sure that the drum is running no hotter than 250 and shoot for 225.

In the world of H&F though, 275-325 is the new 225-250.

Last edited:
Back