• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

How do i get rid of white smoke?

• Thread starter rub it smoke it bbq
  • Start date
R

rub it smoke it bbq

I HAVE BEEN DOING Q FOR ABOUT 5 YRS NOW AND I LEARNED ABOUT THE SMOKE DEAL WHEN I STARTED WELL NOW IN MY COOKER THAT I BUILT IT IS COUGHING WHITE SMOKE IS IT MY WOOD HOW IM BURNING IT IVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM UNTIL THESE LAST COUPLE COOKS? :mad2:

Perhaps you are burning too much wood and need a smaller fire with more air to make that smaller fire burn hotter?

Homemade pit leads me to believe your problem may be related to poor draft. White smoke can be caused by oxygen starvation. In otherwords, your pit design may be choking your fire.

Well i have cooked on the smoker for 3 1/2 yrs now and never had a problem with fire it just started recently!

Well i have cooked on the smoker for 3 1/2 yrs now and never had a problem with fire it just started recently!

Assuming the smoker is unchanged that shouldn't be the problem then. I'd look at your wood then...that is probably the only remaining suspect. Old wood....rotten wood...wood with a high moisture content...the can all lead to white smoke.

I read somwehere on another thread that "white" smoke is common when burning wood vs. blue smoke when burning charcoal. As long as the wood smoke isn't too thick and heavy which would be an indicator of some of the conditions mentioned above. I have a stick burner and have learned how to keep the smoke "white and light" during the cooks.

I was thinking it was my wood also thx for all the help i did get different wood about 3 months ago!!!! Thats the only thing it could be

Preheating my splits on the firebox is a nice trick i learned on here, it gets them closer to their combustion temp and dries them out for quicker and more complete ignition when they are introduced to the coals. This is especially useful if they have gotten rained on, if its cold out... etc.

+1 for the small, healthy fire too. I have started using the smallest fire that will sustain the temp and refueling often.. Its a lot more work than just piling a bunch on there, but the results of the sweet blue smoke have been well worth it. Good luck figuring out your problem!

Yep, need more air to burn that wood. Even with older wood, a little more air flow will get that thin blue smoke we all love so much!!!

imperfectutopia- thought i was the only one who put there wood on the box and added wood alot i just got comfortable with my results and always have awsome turnouts!!!!

I read somwehere on another thread that "white" smoke is common when burning wood vs. blue smoke when burning charcoal. As long as the wood smoke isn't too thick and heavy which would be an indicator of some of the conditions mentioned above. I have a stick burner and have learned how to keep the smoke "white and light" during the cooks.

really, so whats up with the fuss for TBS. (thin blue smoke)

BTW, you avatar makes me laugh. i was in a store today and a little 7 year old girl was with her mom and they walked past the lingerie section and the little girl stopped and stared at the "santa" nighty set. She said " Mommy, can women be santa clause to"

yeah, it was classic. And Mamma was cute to..... Penalty box here i come!!

I ONLY burn wood and the Thin Blue comes from wood...............Langs rock

I HAVE BEEN DOING Q FOR ABOUT 5 YRS NOW AND I LEARNED ABOUT THE SMOKE DEAL WHEN I STARTED WELL NOW IN MY COOKER THAT I BUILT IT IS COUGHING WHITE SMOKE IS IT MY WOOD HOW IM BURNING IT IVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM UNTIL THESE LAST COUPLE COOKS? :mad2:

Is your wood dry? Do you have enough draft? Were the pieces of wood not split down small enough? Did a squirrel build a nest in the smoke stack?

Huh?

I'd like to read what was discussed on that thread. It's my experience that when charcoal is burning cleanly, it's not "blue". It's practically INVISIBLE. Start smoldering wood chunks on the charcoal bed, and the smoke's not invisible, nor light blue, at least for a while.

Regarding stickburning, as long as I keep the vent open and add just one or two small pre-heated seasoned splits at a time, I keep sweet blue smoke most of the time. I keep an eye on the smoke, and when it's nearly gone, I know it's time to add wood. All I could do was minimize the white smoke when I used the vent to keep temps low-n-slow. Now, I tend the fire (lump to supplement temp and/or the coal bed) , not the vent, and leave it open most of the time. If I had a better offset and more time to kill, my wsm might get a little moldy.

Back