Allright all you other caterers......

Some groups always want bids for their events. I bid a lot of sportsmen dinners (Duck's Unlimited, etc) I bid dinners at what I would normally do the job for--no special deals. The only thing that I do different is I never bid it at an exact dollar amount like $12.00----I would bid it at $11.88 and figure out a way to save 12 cents per person. I always set up one buffet line for every 100 people to expedite serving.

A 600 people dinner -I would set up 3 serving tables and have people go down both sides. Beans, rice, potatoes etc are inexpensive to cook---I have found that I can save money by letting the people serve themselves the side dishes---paying servers costs more than cooking extra beans. I set the table by the cost of the dish---least expensive first ---leading up to the meat at the end. By the time most people fill their plates with salad and beans and bread---there is not a lot of room for meat. I always have servers for the meat--standing at the far end of the table so they can serve people coming down both sides.

Sounds as though you've done this a few times. Nice advice here Leonard.

Some groups always want bids for their events. I bid a lot of sportsmen dinners (Duck's Unlimited, etc) I bid dinners at what I would normally do the job for--no special deals. The only thing that I do different is I never bid it at an exact dollar amount like $12.00----I would bid it at $11.88 and figure out a way to save 12 cents per person. I always set up one buffet line for every 100 people to expedite serving.

A 600 people dinner -I would set up 3 serving tables and have people go down both sides. Beans, rice, potatoes etc are inexpensive to cook---I have found that I can save money by letting the people serve themselves the side dishes---paying servers costs more than cooking extra beans. I set the table by the cost of the dish---least expensive first ---leading up to the meat at the end. By the time most people fill their plates with salad and beans and bread---there is not a lot of room for meat. I always have servers for the meat--standing at the far end of the table so they can serve people coming down both sides.

We set up the same way, thanks for the validation of what we do. We have done DU, etc, and man can those guys eat. Almost as bad as drunken golfers! I ran the numbers last night again at actual costs vs. ouir standard menu which stops at 200. Looks like we'll be ok.

Wish I was closer--I'd come help. I have learned more by being a bean runner for another outfit and watching what they do-than I have learned organizing things myself. This forum is awesome -where we can share what we have learned. It makes for a more "gentle" learning curve.

I agree with the above esp. the pricing (but then this is not my primary job so I can take the $75 hit easier than others).

I like the sequence of foods. I'll have to use that in some of my jobs where I ended up with left over sides....

Chuck,
No offense, but I'm glad you are where you are. i don't need an obviously talented competitor too close!!

We always have meat last. Our typical set-up for our most requested meal, or so it seemed in 08, would go like this;

Plates and Utensiles, Caesar Salad, Rolls, Baked Beans, Green Beans, Twice Baked Potato Bake, Relish Tray, Chicken Marsala, Beef Brisket, Sauce, Cobbler

How much time will go into preparation? $2k is great profit as long as it doesn't take you all week to prepare. It probably will take all week though. hehe...600 folks is a lot of food. Good luck on the job. I have said before that I like to make $1000 a day minimum to cater, therefore I figure out what it will cost me to do the job and add the $1000 a day and that is how I have been pricing. So far, it has been working but then I have not had to compete with others on most of the jobs I do.

I guess another question to ask is, how far off were you on last years bid? Also, did the caterer that did get the job last year do a good job? I ask that because if he did, he might bid slightly higher and still win the bid. I would pay extra for a known commodity rather than give an unknown the gig because he was the lowest bidder.

Tony,
In order of questions asked....
1 day of gathering, 1 1/2 days of cooking, 8 hours on site, so about 28 hours.
Last year we where $3 high BUT, we bid steaks, and they took roast beef (very unclear request for bid, this year it's crystal clear).
Last year it was "fair". We've since done a smaller meal for this organization (200) to rave reviews.

Tony,
In order of questions asked....
1 day of gathering, 1 1/2 days of cooking, 8 hours on site, so about 28 hours.
Last year we where $3 high BUT, we bid steaks, and they took roast beef (very unclear request for bid, this year it's crystal clear).
Last year it was "fair". We've since done a smaller meal for this organization (200) to rave reviews.

I'd take it at $71.50 an hour - Like I said before, $2k is $2k. You'll get the bid this year.

2k for the night is not bad, it will be a lot of work, but heck it's worth it. Around these neck of the woods I could charge around $16 for that, but would still do it for $12. Good luck with the bid

2k for the night is not bad, it will be a lot of work, but heck it's worth it. Around these neck of the woods I could charge around $16 for that, but would still do it for $12. Good luck with the bid

It would be about the same here in NY But I just got one for 600 at $13 for roughly the same meal. I have done work with them for my other business so I wanted to get this account as well. They were very unhappy with the people who did it last year. Once I am in I can bump it some and this will be a keeper for years.

It would be about the same here in NY But I just got one for 600 at $13 for roughly the same meal. I have done work with them for my other business so I wanted to get this account as well. They were very unhappy with the people who did it last year. Once I am in I can bump it some and this will be a keeper for years.

Show them once you are worth it, and you will never be looked by again!

It all depends on the customer, there is a saying in sales "you are only as good as your last low bid"

I say go out there and put on the best job, preparing your best food and either you will be awarded future jobs or you won't be.

But in a nutshell, do not bid low in an attempt to get future business that you have no guarantee of getting. It does two things, it cheapens the market for future gigs by you and for your competition.

I hear folks say that the competition did a terrible job yada yada yada, well in the long run if those folks do a bad job they will be out of business before long. Unless I actually taste the food, I have to consider that the competition does a sufficient job or they wouldn't be in business....or else they were just low bidders and they won't be long in this industry.

One way to combat the low bid is to have prepared meals in the freezer that you provide as samples for potential gigs. If these samples are good, the potential customer will then ask your competition for samples and get them or not. If they do not get them, the customer will hopefully go with what they know and you may get the gig. I have pre-sliced brisket and pulled pork that I vacuum seal and hand out, then I have a list of sides that I let folks pick from. I seem to get the jobs that I want.

It all depends on the customer, there is a saying in sales "you are only as good as your last low bid"

I say go out there and put on the best job, preparing your best food and either you will be awarded future jobs or you won't be.

But in a nutshell, do not bid low in an attempt to get future business that you have no guarantee of getting. It does two things, it cheapens the market for future gigs by you and for your competition.

I hear folks say that the competition did a terrible job yada yada yada, well in the long run if those folks do a bad job they will be out of business before long. Unless I actually taste the food, I have to consider that the competition does a sufficient job or they wouldn't be in business....or else they were just low bidders and they won't be long in this industry.

One way to combat the low bid is to have prepared meals in the freezer that you provide as samples for potential gigs. If these samples are good, the potential customer will then ask your competition for samples and get them or not. If they do not get them, the customer will hopefully go with what they know and you may get the gig. I have pre-sliced brisket and pulled pork that I vacuum seal and hand out, then I have a list of sides that I let folks pick from. I seem to get the jobs that I want.

I here ya but they have already had my food for small local functions and raved about it. This is there company event and the regional manager in my area is a personal friend and the other account I have with him is for our local Military base which we have a long term contract with to improve the turf on 500 acres so I kind of have a slight advantage:mrgreen:

Jeff, my buddy and I have thought about getting into some small scale catering. If you could use a pair of free hands I would be happy to pick up some education. Not looking to compete with you :wink:, we just have some interest but no experience! If you could use a pair of hands drop me an email.

Jeff, my buddy and I have thought about getting into some small scale catering. If you could use a pair of free hands I would be happy to pick up some education. Not looking to compete with you :wink:, we just have some interest but no experience! If you could use a pair of hands drop me an email.

I may take you up on that in mid-march. We've got one on the line that could be a great learning experience for you.

I may take you up on that in mid-march. We've got one on the line that could be a great learning experience for you.

Cool. nt ho le at yahoo dot com or you can also call me 3144946697. I'd be happy to help.

I just received my invitation to bid an event we lost last year. 600 people, and it went for $12.00 a head last year (we lost the bid, as we incorrectly assumed steak was requested and it was not, it was just an option). Anyway, for 2 meats, 2 veggies, starch and tea we are coming up about 5% high based on our pricing spreadsheet compared to the winning bid last year.

I want this work but don't want to leave money on the table. At $12, we would clear about $2000 for the evening. Discuss.......

ok try this 3 meats thay chose rib chicken brisket or sholder 2 sides 15 a plate thay will take it and you will make good money

Went a little heavy / greedy on the bid (10% over what i thought would get it). Well, got the news today..........................GOT IT!!! Woo Hoo!

Back