View Single Post
Old 10-20-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Default Smokey Bones, Veal Shanks Slow Roasted. (Pr0n)

I set out to make an Espagnole sauce. This delicious sauce is one of Auguste Escoffier's five mother sauces that are the basis of sauce-making in classic French cooking. My final result will be Demi Glace. This is a long and tedious process not practiced much today, due to the time involved in making it.

I started with 5lbs of veal shanks cut into pieces by my butcher. I combined them in a stainless steel bowl with a generous coating of olive oil, coarse sea salt, and milled black pepper.

Set them up on my Kamado for indirect heat at 350 degrees on an aluminum serving tray to collect the marrow as it oozes from the bones.

I readied my cast iron dutch oven with 2 cups of Cabernet Sauvignon, 2 cups of Barilla all natural Tomato Sauce, left over from my dinner last night, a handful of carrots and one yellow onion chopped rough.

I removed the aluminum tray from under the roasting bones and added the marrow to the dutch oven along with some fresh Rosemary and Basil from my garden.

And let the bones continue to roast until they reached the desired color I was looking for.

Back onto the kamado indirect and this is how it's looking after 4 hours roasting with 1.5 Gallons of water added.

Stay tuned, I think you all know where this is going!

Thanks from: --->