View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default My Authentic Jamaican Jerk Experience.

The wife and I just got back from Montego Bay this morning. Three days of sand, surf, sun, and warmth.

And, of course, I had to make it to a REAL Jamaican Jerk Joint.

After asking for recommendations from the folks that work at the resort, we decided to go to Scotchie's. The place was flooded with locals. We figured it had to be a pretty decent place. The smoke could be smelled a quarter mile up the road.

A few pics of their pits. Two concrete walls with pimento wood coals in between. More pimento straddling the walls, with pork and chicken directly on the wood, covered with some tin.

The food had a lighter smoke flavor, and was purchased by the 1/2 slab or whole slab of pork, and by the 1/2 or whole chicken.

The sauce was simply regular catsup, to pour over the meat first, then drench it with ground Jamaican Scotch Bonnet peppers. This would light a guy up, so we bought "festivals". They are fried sweet cornbread sticks that stifle the heat when you've had too much.

I didn't get to hook up with Phrasty while I was down there, so this was really my only experience outside the resort walls, but it was a danged tasty excursion.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->