WSM for Comps

K-Train

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Just ordered my first WSM. I got the big boy, 22.5. Any advice on mods? I've read that a good number of people don't put water in the pan, just foil. I did order a Cajun Bandit door for it. Anything else? Thanks
Keith

might want to look for some grommets for temp probes. BBQ guru sells them, and I think Cajun' Bandit sells some a bit larger that are supposed to accomodate the maverick ET732 probes

Grommets for temp probes and maybe a Cajun bandit SS door because they tend to fit better than the stock door. I don't use water in the pan.

Keith,

The Virtual Weber Bullet webpage has a page on mods.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/tipsfaq.html

I have 18.5 and a 22. I've got cajun bandit doors on order for both, though I don't think that I'll need it on the 18.5. I've got grommets on the 18.5 and have grommets on order for the 22.

I think the one mod that I am thinking about next is adding handles to center section to make the "hot squat" a bit easier.

the guru and the ique both work very well with the wsm. If you get the maverick, the Ique will get the job done (the guru comes with the food probe).

If you get the grommets, get the larger ones since the 1/4" are too small for the new maverick probes.

I went with sand and have second thoughts becuase of the additional weight. I am looking for a clay pot, r if I can chisle the sand out go dry. Water is fine, but I like to leave my cooker alone and not have to worry about the water pan running dry and spiking the temp.

Pick up the weber 18 charcoal grate. Lay the 18 charcoal grate so that the grates are 90 degrees for each other. This limits small hard wood charcoal pieces from droping through.

Mind if I asked you how you divide you meats on that combination for competition? We just added the 18 to our two 22s

(sorry for the highjack)

Well...this will be the 1st year with the 2nd 22. Last year we just had an 18 and a 22. We cooked chicken on the top rack of the 18 and the ribs on bottom. Brisket was on top of the 22 and pork butts on bottom. I think this year, we will cook our chicken on the 18. Brisket on a 22 and pork/ribs on the other. We still have to figure that out exactly but that is what I was thinking so far.

Well...this will be the 1st year with the 2nd 22. Last year we just had an 18 and a 22. We cooked chicken on the top rack of the 18 and the ribs on bottom. Brisket was on top of the 22 and pork butts on bottom. I think this year, we will cook our chicken on the 18. Brisket on a 22 and pork/ribs on the other. We still have to figure that out exactly but that is what I was thinking so far.

I found this in the wsm thread a few pages back

2-22s and 1-18

Pork butts get the 18; ribs get a 22, brisky gets the other 22; the chicken gets the 22 once the brisky is done. This is my first year cooking on WSMs as you know.

We compete with 1 22 and 1 18, plus an 18 kettle. Brisket and chicken are done in the 22, butts and ribs in the 18. If I had room for another 22, 2 of them would be plenty! The only thing we cook overnight is butts though, and since we do those in the 18 it saves a little on fuel

We use our 22's for chicken and ribs. We run Guru's on both, and we use water in the pan. Looking to get the grommets this Spring.

We do everything on the 18"ers. Friends have the 22, but tend to forget that they get control differently. This is a solid cooking unit even without the mods. My suggestion is to pick what you want and stick with it, even if you use it straight out of the box.

What ate these grommets everyone is talking about??

We go no water, and ique110s driving all of them !

Just ordered my first WSM. I got the big boy, 22.5. Any advice on mods? I've read that a good number of people don't put water in the pan, just foil. I did order a Cajun Bandit door for it. Anything else? Thanks
Keith

Nope...she's ready to roll right outta da box. I recommend washing the cooking grates with hot soapy water to remove any mfg oils and checking the accuracy of the dome thermometer. I use water in my pan for smokes under 250 degrees...other than that I leave it dry (foiled for easy clean up). Have fun! :thumb:

You guys using lump or briquets? I'm thinking lump is a no go. Just curious as I have an egg and use only lump for that. Thanks

Back