I did it! The UDS is finished!

grilling24x7

Full Fledged Farker
First off, big thanks to all the guys who chimed in with great ideas and advice for how to do this. Amazing!

I had a blast doing it and I can't wait to fire it up (probably next weekend). I guess I'll coat the inside with PAM, light it up and maybe toss a naked fatty on there.

Here's some details:
New unlined drum. This is a pure steel drum with no liner. I attempted to use a propane torch to take the paint off. I started with the lid. I ended up warping the lid. This caused so much panic and pissed-off-ness that I decided to keep the black paint from the new drum on the sides. I bent the lid back to proper form and decided to paint it purple. 45 inches of expanded steel bent into a circle and attached to a charcoal grate with U-bolts. I have 1 cooking grate at 7 inches below the top and I have another option for a grate 16 inches off the bottom of the smoker. This can allow for a diffuser or a water pan down the road. Obvious bottle opener and cheapo thermometer mounted in the side. I'll be doing accurate temperature readings through one of the 1 inch holes on the top with a digital probes. I got a small circular piece of wood from a big box store and stained and sealed it black. Mounted it to the side with cheap right angle brackets. Standard air intakes and 1 ball valve for temp control.

There we go! The official Grilling24x7 UDS is complete!!!! Can't wait to get a big packer brisket!

Attachments

• UDS1.jpg
    UDS1.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 384
  • UDS2.jpg
    UDS2.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 381
  • UDS3.jpg
    UDS3.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 379
Only one problem, it looks to clean:loco::becky: Seriously it looks good and like the table idea.

DIggin that Purple Haze Lid! ("poor choice of words" From a drug fueled youth.) "Purple Haze" & "Lid" :roll:

Is that a bottle opener on the side... :wink: if so That is awesome add on...:clap: Everyone should have one. lol

Great looking drum, they look better with TBS creeping out the vents.

I would recommend keeping eyes sharp for a Weber lid as I really like the extra heigth and clearance.

Great looking drum, they look better with TBS creeping out the vents.

I would recommend keeping eyes sharp for a Weber lid as I really like the extra heigth and clearance.

I tested my Weber lid (22 in performer) and it was too small. So that's why I decided against doing another cooking grate 1 inch from the top.

I tested my Weber lid (22 in performer) and it was too small. So that's why I decided against doing another cooking grate 1 inch from the top.

I had the same problem on my recent UDS build. I got a piece of aluminum stock from Lowes, it was 1.5 inches by 72 inches, so it fit around with a little bit of overlap. I attached it to the screws that hold my top cooking grate and it protruded from the top by about a half inch. That holds the 22.5" lid perfectly. I would suggest you try. Having the extra cooking space is very much worth the extra work.

Looks Great!! Mine's black & purple too. Def going to get one of those Ravens bottle openers for mine. I've got ribs in today to celebrate. Can't wait for the Super Bowl!!:bounce:

Back