New to Q, suggestions for cooking for a family

OK, the final instalment.

Took the shoulder off and set it aside to rest for 30 mins. Threw the skin on the grill with some new hot coals.

IMG_2828_zps46d16d62.jpg

That turned into a flame fest so pulled it aside, put it over the bricks, put the lid on and let it roast for a while, turning occasionally.

One man and his kettle. All my shorts were in the wash so I was down to my utilikilt :)

IMG_2830_zps6b135960.jpg

Here it is, the final product.

IMG_2832_zps13092b60.jpg

Pulling the pork, I still can't believe it turned out so well.

IMG_2834_zpsc01d958f.jpg

What was carried to the table

IMG_2835_zps49b78b3e.jpg

The crackling.

IMG_2836_zps81f6586f.jpg

After 8 hungry people had eaten this is what was left :)

IMG_2838_zps12383c43.jpg

Looks like leftover lunch tomorrow :D

All in all, I am amazed at how well it came out, on such a simple rig as a weber kettle. Thank you to everyone who offered suggestions and who's information here helped make it a memorable first 'true' bbq. The family were amazed.

Cheers.

Bam - looks like you nailed it!!!! Hope everyone was impressed as the pics suggest they should be. Don't underestimate the power of the weber, even with all the big rig cooking stuff I have, I still cook on one of me webers 2-3 times a week.

Poor guy, I think he has been bitten by the Q bug, and now he has the fever as well. Life is never going to go back to normal ever again after today. LOL.

Great looking cook!! I was going to wait till Saturday to do some smoking, but after seeing this unfold I think I just might fire something up tomorrow morning. Good job bro.

Looks great!!! Kettles are very versatile cookers, and your cook proves it. Nicely done and welcome to the addiction!

BTW nice shirt- a pirate's life for me!

Great job at your first attempted. I would definitely hit that like no tomorrow! Welcome to the obsession which is bbq

Sir you have nailed it!!!

P.S. There is no 12 step program for the disease called bbq.

Thanks for all the kind comments, yes I'm pretty hooked on this now. I have a barrel sitting out back waiting to be turned into a UDS. The kettle was good to cook on but did take a fair bit of futzing and attention, would be nice to have a drum that's a bit more fire and forget. Oh and now I want the bluetooth thermometer rig to go with my thermapen :)

Back