View Single Post
Old 10-21-2010, 10:50 PM   #1
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

Default UDS heat diffuser

Last week I decided to put some kind of heat diffuser between the charcoal basket and the food in my UDS. Basically what happened was, I removed the lid on the UDs, the lump coal kicked into high and I got burnt food let's say I was unhappy, my fault because I didn't watch it. I seen a post by Alien BBQ about the heat diffuser in an UDS, so I made a make shift plate, and put it to use today, I'm happy with the results. I assume all the juices and mopping every 2 hrs dripped on the plate causing a moist environment keeping food tender and juicy, the diffuser also kept a mess from the coals. I used RO Lump during todays test run, temps were easy to control and steady, the food was tender and juicy. I didn't use any foil while cooking the rack of ribs, I was surprised how the meat pulled back on the bone, that's never happened, (could of been mopping every 2 hrs). Also, everyone liked the chicken, but I thought it was just ok. I deboned thighs and scraped fat off the skin, what a pain, I might try muffin pans, either way I need to cook more chicken.. Anyway Main reason for diffuser was in hope of stopping combustion air from getting to Lump so fast, or slow it down once lid was removed, I'm happy. Sorry No pic of my diffuser,, but similar to Alien BBQ's in attachment. OK I guess his attatchment won't show. If ?'s let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ribs 192.jpg (70.1 KB, 1007 views)
File Type: jpg ribs 195 (2).jpg (61.2 KB, 989 views)
File Type: bmp untitled.bmp (434.2 KB, 1096 views)
BRBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote